We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

There are a ton of things to consider when a network places a show, they invested money on, atop the chopping block. Using several resources, but mainly the index used by The SpoilerTV Cancellation Predictor Table, I have gathered a group of shows I have seen covered here on TV.com and assessed their status for a new season. I have used the aforementioned index to show exactly where they lie in each category. Some are closer to one category or another - so it's important to realize some shows are teetering on the edge one way or another.

I have concentrated only on the major networks (ABC/FOX/CW/CBS/NBC) and the data taken into consideration are from a review of viewing numbers, 18-49, and + 7 Numbers. The SpoilerTV index also weighs in the network the show airs on, the night it is aired, the DVR numbers and +3 and +7 numbers, DVD/Blu-Ray Sales, streamed views and torrents, costs of casting and production, and of course, Nielsen Ratings. That is why I am using their index as my main reference of data - although I did read over several more subjective articles on most of these shows as well - which consider network replacements, cast availability, and their general feel if the network is satisfied with what they are getting back from the investment.

Here is my chart, from which I heavily weighed my opinion:

Remember, this Index uses a scale in which the lower number is the show's best friend. As the number gets higher - the higher the chance it will be cancelled. Anything over a 2.70 is almost certainly cancelled. 2.40-2.70 - they are in trouble. Less than 2.40 they are pretty safe. So, a show I am concerned about, Almost Human, is a 2.41 - which puts it in danger, but still very close to "Likely to be Renewed". Objective numbers with a touch of subjective optimism.

I wanted to be as accurate as possible, so I only chose shows off the SpoilerTV table I was able to research a little further.The majority of news out there is Negative Nancy stuff, articles about shows that will be canned. You find very few written positively - that this show or that show has a good chance to come back. Yet I was able to discern a few things, so here is my prediction:

Salt the size of a grain should be taken from this TV.com user as far as these predictions go, but I took great pains to be as unbiased as possible and take the information for what it was. But I am not an MX, I am more of a DRN and I was made to feel. Nonetheless - I am pretty confident in my data and in my interpretation of it.

Here's hoping your favorite TV made the happy side of the list!

- Edshrinker

***UPDATE***
Thanks to a HEADS-UP by PaBurrows, we have a little movement on the renewal angle. And just as an aside, renewing Almost Human's Monday partner without any announcement on AH's status tells me they simply haven't decided yet. The Following still has several episodes left this season - so it would make sense to give it an early renewal to try to keep fans who are teetering the brink of dropping out, to stick in there as there is a story that stretches beyond this season. But just as a matter of opinion - The Following is some of the worst television I have have ever seen, from concept to execution. If that show gets the nod OVER Almost Human...well I'm getting some of the "Firefly" anger kicking in. It goes beyond common sense or taste considering the numbers are the same. Sorry for the fan-boy rage. But that is why we are here. We are fans.

The Following, B99, New Girl, and The Mindy Project Renewed

98 Comments
Comments (92)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mind Games is pretty cool, I am sad that they havent given it a chance
Flag
If I remember correctly, it was said that this will be the last season of the Mentalist.

Flag
They left it open, but yeah they did make mention of that as a possibility.
Flag
Even if they left it open, without Red John the show is kind of dull. The episodes after Patrick's return are just fillers to compleat the season. Can't see where it could go after they are done with that stretched out plotline of revenge. That's the problem of the protagonist having an archnemesis. If you kill it, you kill the story with it.
Flag
Really? I stopped watching the show a season or two back cause I was sick and tired of Red John. I was so over it already...
Flag
Do they look at whats get watched online by any chance? I don't know many people who bother with TV anymore and instead stream everything. I even know someone who doesn't watch anything until the season has completely ended and then binge-watches the entire season, either online or by DVD. Maybe networks decisions should just be based on a massive, global poll: Do you want to keep watching this show or not: Y or N? haha
Flag
"data taken into consideration are from a review of viewing numbers, 18-49, and + 7 Numbers. The SpoilerTV index also weighs in the network the show airs on, the night it is aired, the DVR numbers and +3 and +7 numbers, DVD/Blu-Ray Sales, streamed views and torrents, costs of casting and production, and of course, Nielsen Ratings. That is why I am using their index as my main reference of data - although I did read over several more subjective articles on most of these shows as well - which consider network replacements, cast availability, and their general feel if the network is satisfied with what they are getting back from the investment."

So the answer is YES to everything but the Y/N question - which would be nice. How heavily they weigh torrenting or Netflix, I do not know.
Flag
ahh I completely missed the mention of streaming and torrents in the post haha - kinda makes my comment irrelevant whoops my bad! :-) But the poll would be interesting... I wonder what the results would look like in comparison to the way they analyse ratings...
Flag
I know the Networks look at a lot more than they used to. Especially DVD/Blu-Ray. But ya gotta figure, DVR'd shows - the commercials get skipped which advertisers aren't happy with. Hence your show is not worth as much.
Flag
I'm still trying to understand all this Intelligence hate? Does it have to be up to POI standards? Can't it just be a soapy drama like Castle, where the leads get together in the end, since that seems to be where it's headed which suits me fine. Everyone seems to be crying over the fact that it's not 'smart' or 'believable' but in what aspect is Castle believable? (I love Castle, it's just a comparison). In real life, no one, anywhere (and the producer said it himself long ago) is anyone going to let a writer tag along on investigations. It ain't gonna happen. This is about a guy with a chip in his head. It's technically sci fi. Let your belief system go and enjoy it for an hour. I'm perfectly fine not being a TV snob who thinks everything must be quality, top notch, no mistakes entertainment. So i love Intelligence. And I keep remembering it's on CBS, and CBS just has these tired shows that never seem to end (yes, i mean CSI and all of its annoying sisters and NCIS and its sister...and how well is Hawaii 5 0 doing anymore really...). They spent a lot of money advertising/marketing Intelligence. They also went about putting it in the wrong time slot. Seriously, Monday at 10? You put it up against Almost Human or The Following (?), The Blacklist, and Castle...so, good job on that one. I don't understand why everything needs to air Monday at 10, but I can think of 6 other days it would do perfectly well on. Like Wednesday...nothing good is on Wednesday on any network...
More+
Flag
And incidentally - another proof it's not the timeslot, NBC is airing it's HUGE midseason show "Believe" (Alfonso Cureon/JJ Abramns) at, you guessed it,

10 pm on Monday

That is a very solid time slot.
Flag
Except its regular timeslot is Sunday at 9, and since it didn't do amazing after The Voice, I doubt it will be able to succeed against The Walking Dead, Resurrection, The Good Wife, and eventually Mad Men and Game of Thrones. Then again its on NBC, and if it is able to sustain half of its premiere ratings it may stick around.
Flag
Where are you seeing "HATE"? This article is just giving the numbers objectively with a little guesswork as ro what it probably means.

If your talking about the criticism it gets - it's easy to feel that way when folks dislike something you like and get really personal about it. There is valid criticism of that show (I won't bother with that here) and I love Josh Holloway, but I have to agree with most of the criticism I find it as unwatchable as Helix (and I have tried both). But if YOU like it - no one should tell you you shouldn't. People get so damn personal trying to say what I should and shouldn't enjoy (just got sucked in to a troll calling me all sorts of names for loving FRINGE as much as I do). Ignore them and enjoy the show as long as you have it.

As for the time slot - CBS gave it a very nice time slot. It's only competition was The Blacklist - and that show surprised everyone. So they had no idea it would have that much of a fight, Almost Human and The Following are in the 1.7 range, and air at different times on a network that goes to news at 10pm. Intelligence just has 2 other shows to compete with on the major networks at 10pm, I don't know how you can bring that into the argument.
More +
Flag
That's the beauty of television. There is something for everyone. I watch a wide range of shows, some are total guilty pleasures but I really don't care. Sometimes the shows we like get canceled, we get upset, but we accept it, move on, and find something else we like instead. I agree with Ed - like what you like.

Having said all that though...Firefly? Whoever decided that one needed to be canceled after just one season was a bloody moron...
Flag
If only Joss Whedon had the cache with the networks then as he does now. But Fox pretty much screwed Dollhouse too. They did give it a 2nd season but kept slashing the budget. And of course, the Friday Death Slot.
Flag
Yeah I couldn't really get into Dollhouse myself so I wasn't bothered to see that one go. But that doesn't change the fact that Joss Whedon is amazing. :)
Flag
I agree with you about Intelligence, although I don't think it should become soap. IT just has a very original premise, has built some interesting stories around it and just needs to find its feet a bit.

There are flaws........ but it would be a shame to lose something original considering what else is currently on.
Flag
To add to the thread here - Intellgence has a great lead, a nice "love interest"/partnew. Marg and Phlox are just awful. I agree it is a show with potential...it's POI - but it is Finch's and Reese's characters in one body. Not original, but still interesting. It's the writing and execution that is just awful. And it will suffer from what Helix xuffers from - ALL THAT POTENTIAL - and then a huge let down. THese are just my feelings from trying to give (them both) a solid chance.
Flag
Hehe, I am loving Helix. Could be my interest in viral outbreak/zombie storylines, could be the characters, I don't know. It isn't great television by any means but damn, is it ever entertaining. :)
Flag
Merkathi - I still get crap for my love of Farscape (a space show with muppets?). Of course - that is by those that never watched it - but still. Guilty Pleasures in life are beautiful. I think you hit the nail on the head. It took me until now to even catch up with TWD (after all sorts of pressure that it is SO GOOD). But I never liked zombie stuff. If I were a fan of that genre - I would be super forgiving of a show like that. And even without that - I would have liked Helix if they would have just made the characters act as smart, as they would have to be, to do what they do for a living.
Flag
Six seasons and a movie! Or, i'm down for 12 seasons and a theme park.
NBC president or something announced couple of months ago that there's a strong possibility for Community to get renewed. Parks and Rec. is already renewed.
Flag
I didn't bother with who's already renewed or not aired yet.
Flag
I can't beleive Shield and Revolution might survive
Flag
Both of their numbers are VERY good. But production costs hae to be weighed in. Sill what does NBC have to replace it? Believe? ABC has nada.

And honestly toto - thr last 3 or 4 eps of both have been outstanding! Now Lorelei and Sif - Jaime Alexander: The only TRUE Wonder Woman:
I am literally just throwing money at my TV
Flag
I heard Community might get renewed because it has almost aired 100 episodes. And if a show has 85-100 episodes it can go into syndication, and that can be very profitable for networks.
Flag
Yeah that is a great point ans really had me pushing it to renewal. But it will be just enough to get to 100 eps. Long term $$$ for syndication gives the proverbial network hard-on. I should change that - but that would be cheating.
Flag
That was a ton of words to say you say you are right.
Flag
In one of your comments (see below) - you explained my reason for disliking The Following down to a tee.
And you know that I don't think Almost Human is particularly great but it certainly has a terrific premise (unlike The Following whose premise is 90% of the problem) and a ton of potential.
So the fact that a show like Almost Human gets cancelled or the death slot treatment in favour of shows like The Following doesn't sit right with me. And unlike you, I personally don't dislike or wish cancelation for The Following "because of my inclination towards AH". Not at all. Even if there was no Almost Human, my opinion would be exactly the same. The Following should not be on air - period.

Your (@edshrinker) reply to @morganbrodeur below just about sums it up:

"What drives me nuts is the entire premise: Aside from Hitler (and followers killed for the cause more than the person) no one in history has had so much sway over hundereds (or more) people that they would commit the most awful, murderous acts I have ever seen ...for no reason other than their devotion. Manson came close, but he had less than a dozen that would go to that extreme. Cults like (Jonestown) were persuaded to take their own lives but not others.

So - long explaination, but the whole Poe spouting cultish figure pulling the strings of hundereds of people. The SHOCK value turned up to 11 on the killing. The ineptitude of what is considered the Finest internal police force in the US. The hugely Helix -like stupidity and unprofessionalism of the characters.."

More+
Flag
but hey....everyone loves bacon. People are forgeting this is KEVIN Bacon
Flag
Like I said, if his name was Kevin Brusslesprout, it'd be a different story.
Flag
HAVE YOU WATCHED MY VIDEOS??? I love you. DOn't hurt mah feelins!
Flag
DID YOU WATCH THE VIDEOS!!!! (yes I'm yelling) ;-p
Flag
Just think of the success he'd had with Kevin Lobstertail. Or for those with shellfish allergies: Kevin Mignon
Flag
Ugh! "The Following" got renewed!
Flag
I watch quite a few of the shows on this list (mostly safe ones, I noticeà but the only ones I'm really invested into are POI, SHIELD and Elementary.
As far as the danger zone go, I would be happy if Almost Human got renewed, and I could take some more brainless action in Intelligence.
Flag
You are wrong about Mindy-it was just renewed.
Flag
Everyone was wrong about Mindy.
Flag
Yup! I'm sure I'll miss a couple more as well. 75% is about what I planned on...and that's where I am!
Flag
Thank the Network Gods......The Following has been renewed!

The Following=Renewed=More hilarious reviews from Grumpyclown!
Flag
Why all the hate for the Following? I really like it.
Flag
Same, really enjoy it, not all TV could or should try to be Breaking Bad...

Absolutely love Almost Human and will be gutted if it gets cancelled of course :)
Flag
I think it's terrible. But everyone's got their own opinion.
Flag
And believe me - the hate is toward the show...I will never be one of the many on the interwebs who call people stupid or tasteless for liking unpopular things. I have fights every day with people that say the most vile things about JJ Abrams - when I happen to like his stuff. Almost all of it, especially the Treks. The names I have been called...

My feeling is always, while I may not like it, I am happy when folks find shows they like and will never be critical of them. Just the show/movies themselves.

I am sorry if my teasing in the AH recaps and in this article upset you.
Flag
That's cool. Just a little fan-boy rage.

I tried to watch it last year, but quit after the first four episodes. What drives me nuts is the entire premise: Aside from Hitler (and followers killed for the cause more than the person) no one in history has had so much sway over hundereds (or more) people that they would commit the most awful, murderous acts I have ever seen ...for no reason other than their devotion. Manson came close, but he had less than a dozen that would go to that extreme. Cults like (Jonestown) were persuaded to take their own lives but not others.

So - long explaination, but the whole Poe spouting cultish figure pulling the strings of hundereds of people. The SHOCK value turned up to 11 on the killing. The ineptitude of what is considered the Finest internal police force in the US. The hugely Helix -like stupidity and unprofessionalism of the characters....

That explains my side. It's cool if you like it. My fan boy rage is more directed at the chance it is being chosen OVER Almost Human. If they can both survive, then Live Long and Prosper.
Flag
Making a reality check on a tv show is just bad manners and the first sign of a hater. The show has to be believable in its own universe, with its own set of rules. If you would apply the same scrutiny to everything that you see in tv then you will never find a show that you like.

As far as I am concerned, the Following was better than the Cult, but still was not entertaining enough for me to stick with it. So if it is a one of the two kind of choice I would definitely go with Almost Human, but I don't think they would compare two entirely different kind of show like that.
Flag
I've been enjoying Intelligence so I hope that doesn't go. I enjoyed season 1 of BATB too but this season just doesn't seem to have found it's feet really, so I'd agree with your list.
Flag
I'm lucky most of my faves are safe but I'm concerned about Helix.Also I'm waiting to see if Almost Human will be renewed and if it is renewed,then I'll buy the DVD of the first season and begin to watch the series.I didn't watch it on TV because I felt it was gonna be another Firefly and I hate to invest in a series only to have it yanked from the network.Plus it's on Fox,the most viewer unfriendly network.
Anyway,shows I don't need to worry about are Walking Dead,Supernatural,Big Bang Theory,2 Broke Girls,Falling Skies,Game Of Thrones,Arrow,Agents of Shield,Dr.Who,Grimm,Castle and we're getting final seasons of Sons of Anarchy and Strikeback.Also safe are Simpsons,Family Guy and American Dad(going to another network).
I'm scratching my head with the renewal of New Girl,Mindy Project and The Following.
Looking forward to The Flash starting next season(hopefully).
Flag
I dissagree on TTP, I think it's done,especially after its 0.4 yesterday and will Likley do worse on Mon.I also disagree on Mom & Men.Mom isn't the lowest rated CBS comedy anymore and its Chuck Lorre and Men is old,expensive but the timeslot switch has helped its ratings and it'll one of CBS highest rated shows and comidies plus it's Chuck Lorre.
Flag
Again - I took in much more then the actual numbers. Lorre shows have been money makers but he has also seen patience wear thin with his comedy and his methods (I'll try to find a link for that article). I think Lorre shows are about to turn the page from what I have read. And the numbers stink in comparison to what they ised to be (TBBT the only exception). I don't disagree with you points and if they are shows you like then I hope I am wrong. But I am sticking with my predictions. I would guess I get about 75% spot on. So there will be room for some error in there.

If you go to the SpoilerTV link and look at the accuracy of their INDEX you will be very impressed.
Flag
im sad about Carrie Diaries,BatB.
Flag
Fox just renewed New Girl, Mindy Project, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Following

http://tvline.com/2014/03/07/renewed-new-girl-mindy-project-brooklyn-nine-nine-the-following/
Flag
Pa - if it's ok with you I will embed this link in my article so everyone sees it. I will give you credit of course for finding it.
Flag
FOX has both The Following and Almost Human. NOt a good sign. I figured one or the other. How can that low-brow, cheap shock effect, moronic, abortion of a show get renewed over Almost Human? I really would love to sit down with these "Geniuses".

Thank you Pa!
Flag
less special effects budget?
Flag
I would be that is what they are talking to Wyman about right now...can her do it for less.
Flag
Although... I was right. I figured it was going to get another season. I just hope it isn't at AH's expense.
Flag
I just read about it. Could be bad news for Almost Human. They probably want the timeslot for Gotham.
Flag
I am CERTAIN they have AH in mind for 8pm Friday night. The Firefly, Dollhouse, FRINGE dying place.
Flag
yup its where they like to stick the sci-fi shows.
Flag
If that means it sticks around, I'll take it. THe show has the chance to find the loyalty of FRINGE fans if it is given a chane to find itself -- much like FRINGE had to over the 1st 20 episodes.
Flag
I was really hoping that The Mindy Project would die already.
Flag
I gave you two thumbs up wishing for that death.
Flag
She was my least favorite character on The Office.
Flag
I support your conclusions as, for one exception, I only watch series that are on your renew list. The exception is Community and it will be renewed. Even only because NBC likes the sound of 'six seasons and a movie'.
Flag
I had heard that and weighed t in with the internal problems the show is reportedly having. I'll stick with my conclusion, but I hop you're right! What I have seen of it, i is funny and original. That's a nice change.
Flag
I think Community will get renewed, but that's only based on the fact that NBC won't have any option with only two other comedies to take into next season - Parks and Recreation, which has already been renewed, and About A Boy, which is probably good enough to stick around - I'm expecting Growing Up Fisher's ratings to drop and the show getting cancelled.
But other than that I can't argue with any of your conclusions. You already know where I stand on Almost Human and I really hope that both Meghan Ory and Josh Holloway find new work quickly.
Flag
A-freakin Men on Josh. YOu have is BAd RObot family out there doing great things. He'd be a grear, if not ironic fit on Almost Human. He'd be amazing in Sleepy Hollow (A Fed also on the trail??? I could see him in Believe as well - maybe as an ambivalent character helping or trying to harm the girl.

He'll get work if he wants it. Always thought he'd fit in as a reoccurring on POI as well.
Flag
I'm seriously surprised by Hannibal so high up the ranking. Did it find a new audience or is it because it moved to Friday.
Flag
Edge - if you are looking at the INDEX - high up is a BAD thing. The lower the number the better.
Flag
It's in the likely to be renewed section is what I mend.
Flag
Ah. Gotcha. The higher up you are on either list is better
Flag
Yeah but no so bad viewership for Fridays on NBC.
Flag
They call it the "Friday Death Slot" for a reason. And I would put realy money on AH ans The Following being renewed and but pack to back on Fridays next season. Just makes sense.
Flag
It is a common night away from TV. But they do take that in considerations and judge the numbers differently on Friday. FRINGE did well compared to other shows there.
Flag
Friday night move. It's still on the bubble, but will most likely be renewed. If NBC starts cancelling all of there bubble shows, they wouldn't have much left :)
Flag
*Their not there lol.
Flag
dads and mom should both be back next season.
Flag
Almost Human should definitely be renewed, as far as I am concerned. That show has all the elements for a great future: fantastic chemistry between the main characters/actors - which is to me the most defining part of a good series -, interesting personal backgrounds, good teasers, believable story and futuristic setting: ingredients that justify a second season (and more). See my earlier posting in the Almost Human community.
I have watched Intelligence as well and I don't feel half the satisfaction as I do with Almost Human. With all due respect to those who do love it: a bitchy boss and a pretty body guard just don't hold the same interest for me.
What it comes down to, I'm not debating the cancellation of the one, but I'm breaking a lance for the continuation of the other.
Bring on season 2 of Almost Human!
Flag
Cancel Scandal! Ha. I don't think so.

I really need the Tomorrow People and Almost Human to get a second season.

Grimm, Person of Interest and Elementary should be back. Not sure about Revolution, I haven't watched it in months. Does it get better?
Flag
I had "Betrayal" in my brain when I did that. My bad. Duly corrected. As for Mons and Dads - I stand firm on the numbers.
Flag
Staff
Agreed. A reduced season, maybe, in light of the CBS grabbing football on Thursdays, but cancellation? I'd be shocked.
Flag
Yeah I will be very surprised if scandal get canceled.

I am only worried about Almost Human, most of the shows i watch seem to be safe
Flag
I hope you're right! On your list, i only watch Almost Human, Person of Interest, Revolution, and Once Upon A Time. I dropped The Following last year after episode 10. My only concern is Believe, i really like the premise. If it's a choice between The Following & Believe, i hope they choose the latter.
Flag
Well - since Believe has yet to air, I really couldn't have an opinion either way (although I did see the pilot). NBC - Believe and The Following is FOX ...so if AH is up against another show for renewal it is probably that dog-awful show. The numbers are the same. It has bigger names. But Almost Human blows it away as far as it's intelligence and promise. Anyone with half a brain would renew AH over Rake, or The Following. Will we get the FOX that gave FRINGE a fair shake despite poor ratings (but a faithful fan base)? Or the FOX that cancelled Firefly?
Flag
"NBC - Believe and The Following is FOX" Oops i knew that. I really should proof read before i hit submit ;)

I read on TV By The Numbers, that only two of Revolution, Hannibal, Believe, and Crisis were likely to be renewed. It something to do with open time slots and future plans. I watch the first two, and have Believe as my number two, on new shows of 2014 i wanted to try. (Helix #1)

From what i've read, The Following has the edge over Almost Human. But FOX told fans, that they cancelled Terminator: TSSC, and kept Dollhouse; because TSSC had two season to build a fanbase, Dollhouse only had one. So i hope that wasn't just smoke up our wazos, and they give AH another season, if it comes a choice.
Flag
Wasn't Sarah Connor victimized by the writers strike?
I assumed its more so that Dollhouse got renewed because its Josh Whedon's and they cancelled FIrefly and saw the craze that followed and they didn't want to repeat that mistake.

I am hoping they keep AH, they dicked around with its starting date but they spent a lot promoting it soooooo....
But I confess, its not as good as I hoped and they are not using its world to its full, or even mid, potential.
Flag
Yeah the writers strike screwed up so much. Supernatural had that huge gap during the Little Lillith arc, L O S T lost momentum - SCC was really affected - you are dead on. So many others too, I can't recall right now.
Flag
I believe Terminator: TSSC's first season (winter 2008), fell into the time. But it was a mid-season replacement, with only nine episodes. It was already written and filmed by broadcast. It was cancelled after a twenty-two episode second season. Joss was a major factor, in FOX keeping Dollhouse. But the explanation they gave the fans, is the one i stated in my first post.
Flag
And I love they are weighing fan support, torrenting numbers, the DVR +3 +7 ...I am not seeing as negatively as I was on Tuesday when the ratings came out.
Flag
Yeah - they may not like it, but they have to consider the torrents as a sign of popularity - but with ZERO impact for commercial sales.
Flag
Torrents? So some shows count my um... questionable online streaming? I heard a while back that Game of Thrones producers, were happy that it was the number one torrented series. Funny.

I watch more series ON-Demand, then at broadcast, so i'm glad they look at other sources. I like to set my own viewing schedule, and not be tethered to the networks' broadcast schedule.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members