Geeks, nerds, you know, those adorable strange characters we so often see in tv series and so seldom in real life. We like them, despite how they act and how they see themselves. If they weren’t adorable they would not be the geeks we like geeks to be on tv. We have come a long way from a world where geeks were the outcasts, the ones chosen last on any occasion (sports….), made fun of or even worse. Geeks were the ones being bullied by the guys and girls we were supposed to love. But movies like ‘Revenge of the nerds’ changed that image and in ‘21 Jump street’ (the 2012 movie), we were shown how the world had changed. Geeks rock the world.

Over the last decades they have become real assets to our series. Looking back over the last decades, we have had a bunch of boys or men that were the geeky ones. It might go back to guys like Radar on MASH, Alex on Family Ties, Mulder on X-Files (not forgetting the Lone Gunmen) and Sheldon (The Big Bang Theory is based upon the premise of lovable geeks). Until not that long ago, geeky girls were so often portrayed as the librarians or scientists. You know, the ones with glasses, lab coats and some mussed hair and shabby clothes who turned into beauties once they lost those attributes. But over the last years, tv has attracted more and more female geeks. The fact that most tv viewers are women in the important age of 15 - 45 probably helped a bit. Women have become more conscious of their abilities and powers and that is reflected in the tv world.

Who do you think has been or is the best geek girl on tv? Let me give you a few over the last years.

Lisa Simpson (The Simpsons)
Lisa Simpson is a smart, witty, independent girl who focuses on her goals and strives to reach her potential, and at age 8 she is already a member of MENSA with an IQ of 159. She even had her own book on the subject: ‘Lisa Simpson's Guide to Geek Chic’ which is set to be released on March 17, 2015

Elliot Reed (Scrubs)
In a series that was a nerdy as can be, Dr. Elliot Reid, the on-again, off-again love interest of the main character J.D., was possibly the only doctor on staff more geeky and psychologically messed-up than he was.

Annie Edison (Community)
She must be one of our favourites on this site. Annie is by far the most studious and serious of the study group. This is how she introduced herself in the pilot: ‘Mornin' boys. I'm Annie Edison, but people call me Psycho because I had a nervous breakdown in high school’.

Abby Sciuto (NCIS)
Abby is a forensic scientist at the NCIS headquarters, with expertise in ballistics, digital forensics, and DNA analysis. She is describes as ‘a paradox wrapped in an oxymoron smothered in contradictions in terms’. She sleeps in a coffin. The fun aspect is that the actor, Pauley Perette, has a degree in criminal science, next to being (amongst so many other things) a singer in a rock ‘n roll band.

Amy Farah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)
Amy is the neurobiologist and girlfriend (kind of, sort of, who knows) of Sheldon. She is very smart and scientific to the point of having a little difficulty functioning in “normal” society (but not compared to Sheldon). As with Pauley Perette, the fun thing is that the actress Mayim Byalik actually does have a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from UCLA and her doctoral dissertation, according to those who know, seems to be brilliant work.

Felicity Smoak (Arrow)
What would a post like this be without her. Glasses, science, computers, smart and everything else. For further information, please read my post on ‘Which Felicity would you rather have dinner with’ .

Caitlin Snow (The Flash)
She is a bio-engineer at S.T.A.R. Labs, working during the particle accelerator disaster.As far as I have been able to see, she was the exception being a woman in a world where men dominated science at S.T.A.R labs. She is very intelligent and passionate about her work as a bioengineer and scientist, even keeping a blood collection kit in her purse.

Jemma Simmons (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
She is a genius bio-chemist, so incredibly talented that she graduated 3 years early and became a star in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s research division. Although not known how many, she has more than two PhDs. She specializes in life sciences (both human and alien). Her partner Leo Fitz claims that she's so smart "because she loves homework more than life itself".

Claudia Donovan (Warehouse 13)
Claudia is a computer hacker, inventor and the current caretaker of Warehouse 13. She is a curious, borderline intrusive individual, with a quirky and impulsive nature. She also loves to play with the various gadgets at the Warehouse to occupy herself.

Temperance Brennan (Bones)
I could not do this post without her in it. She started the series as a straightforward, brilliant anthropologist, who lacks social skills. Her social ineptitude is especially apparent when it comes to sarcasm, metaphors which she often interprets literally, and pop culture jokes and is often the source of comedy in the show. Besides these nerdy characteristics, she is also a bestselling author In later seasons she changes into a relatively ‘normal’ person, leaving some of her nerdy characteristics behind and becoming a geek (and even less geeky every episode). I loved her in the first seasons (where I also remember her to be a black belt in a martial art), but when she lost her geeky character, she lost her attraction to me over the last seasons.

Willow Rosenberg (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Willow was a computers geek around 1998, what do I need to say more (except that I was one in 1978, so she is a late bloomer to me).Willow started out as as a member of the Computer, Science, and Math clubs. Later we saw her hacking into computers and becoming a witch. A true and early geek.

Veronica Mars (Veronica Mars)
We marshmallows unite! I had not seen the series until the movie came out and I binged the series in just a few weeks and loved it. Veronica is a college girl who moonlights as a private investigator. She used to be just a popular teen but became a sharp-witted, cynical, edgy outcast after her best friend was killed and she (assumed she) was raped.

Chloe O’Brien (24)
She is exceptionally intelligent and, as so many of our geeks, displays extraordinary mastery of computer science. Where she differs is that she is also proficient with weapons. Starting out as a true nerd, demonstrating a degree of social awkwardness and lack of social graces while being under pressure, she is just a geek with relatively normal social skills in most other situations..

Cosima Neihaus (Orphan Black)
Ah, Orphan Black, one of my favourite series. Cosima is an eccentric, queer, tattooed girl with a scientific mind verging on genius. She's dependable, caring, brave and, like a geek girl should, driven to find answers. She also tends to diverge on scientific topics and can talk relatively fast when she gets excited.

Betty Suarez (Ugly Betty)
To me she is the epitome of what is wrong with this kind of television. After the first minute one can easily see the producers made her ugly. One could assert that we have to look behind what is being done to her, but why do it anyway? Why not use an actress who can be that natural geek one and be ‘as ugly’ as needed to make the show believable. I wouldn’t and couldn’t look behind the awful ‘makeunder’ and that made the series unbearable to me. Be aware, I did not give an opinion on the acting, just the presentation. All in all, she is kind of a geeky person so that’s why I put her in.

There is one character I did not include and that’s Dana Scully. To me, she was not the geek, she was the realistic doctor who balanced Mulder in the X-Files. I saw Gillian Anderson on Top Gear a few weeks ago and on Comic Relief (an English charity evening/event on tv that is better tv than a lot of the 'normal' US programs) last weekend and I really, really adore her. She is so lovable in real life. And, in real life she is the one that is open to the mysteries of X-files and David Duchovny isn’t. But to me she is no geek in that series.

And as always in my posts, these are the ones I am aware of so there will be numerous others. Also, these are my personal opinions and everyone is free to have his or her own opinions. I love to hear them. Please point them out in the comments.

poll

Oh, and just a wakeup call I have to make. Do not think we, geeky, nerdy persons, are the same as the ‘real’ nerdy, geeky girls and boys. The truth is best told in this picture:

And as a reminder: If you liked reading this post, please give it a heart (clicking on the ‘heart symbol in the right upper or lower left corner of the post). It is the reward for us (non-paid amateur) writers who try to make this site more fun for us all.

PS @Arska had kinda the same idea as I had this week and posted a post on the Awesome Woman on TV.
160 Comments