Geeks, nerds, you know, those adorable strange characters we so often see in tv series and so seldom in real life. We like them, despite how they act and how they see themselves. If they weren’t adorable they would not be the geeks we like geeks to be on tv. We have come a long way from a world where geeks were the outcasts, the ones chosen last on any occasion (sports….), made fun of or even worse. Geeks were the ones being bullied by the guys and girls we were supposed to love. But movies like ‘Revenge of the nerds’ changed that image and in ‘21 Jump street’ (the 2012 movie), we were shown how the world had changed. Geeks rock the world.

Over the last decades they have become real assets to our series. Looking back over the last decades, we have had a bunch of boys or men that were the geeky ones. It might go back to guys like Radar on MASH, Alex on Family Ties, Mulder on X-Files (not forgetting the Lone Gunmen) and Sheldon (The Big Bang Theory is based upon the premise of lovable geeks). Until not that long ago, geeky girls were so often portrayed as the librarians or scientists. You know, the ones with glasses, lab coats and some mussed hair and shabby clothes who turned into beauties once they lost those attributes. But over the last years, tv has attracted more and more female geeks. The fact that most tv viewers are women in the important age of 15 - 45 probably helped a bit. Women have become more conscious of their abilities and powers and that is reflected in the tv world.

Who do you think has been or is the best geek girl on tv? Let me give you a few over the last years.

Lisa Simpson (The Simpsons)
Lisa Simpson is a smart, witty, independent girl who focuses on her goals and strives to reach her potential, and at age 8 she is already a member of MENSA with an IQ of 159. She even had her own book on the subject: ‘Lisa Simpson's Guide to Geek Chic’ which is set to be released on March 17, 2015

Elliot Reed (Scrubs)
In a series that was a nerdy as can be, Dr. Elliot Reid, the on-again, off-again love interest of the main character J.D., was possibly the only doctor on staff more geeky and psychologically messed-up than he was.

Annie Edison (Community)
She must be one of our favourites on this site. Annie is by far the most studious and serious of the study group. This is how she introduced herself in the pilot: ‘Mornin' boys. I'm Annie Edison, but people call me Psycho because I had a nervous breakdown in high school’.

Abby Sciuto (NCIS)
Abby is a forensic scientist at the NCIS headquarters, with expertise in ballistics, digital forensics, and DNA analysis. She is describes as ‘a paradox wrapped in an oxymoron smothered in contradictions in terms’. She sleeps in a coffin. The fun aspect is that the actor, Pauley Perette, has a degree in criminal science, next to being (amongst so many other things) a singer in a rock ‘n roll band.

Amy Farah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)
Amy is the neurobiologist and girlfriend (kind of, sort of, who knows) of Sheldon. She is very smart and scientific to the point of having a little difficulty functioning in “normal” society (but not compared to Sheldon). As with Pauley Perette, the fun thing is that the actress Mayim Byalik actually does have a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from UCLA and her doctoral dissertation, according to those who know, seems to be brilliant work.

Felicity Smoak (Arrow)
What would a post like this be without her. Glasses, science, computers, smart and everything else. For further information, please read my post on ‘Which Felicity would you rather have dinner with’ .

Caitlin Snow (The Flash)
She is a bio-engineer at S.T.A.R. Labs, working during the particle accelerator disaster.As far as I have been able to see, she was the exception being a woman in a world where men dominated science at S.T.A.R labs. She is very intelligent and passionate about her work as a bioengineer and scientist, even keeping a blood collection kit in her purse.

Jemma Simmons (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
She is a genius bio-chemist, so incredibly talented that she graduated 3 years early and became a star in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s research division. Although not known how many, she has more than two PhDs. She specializes in life sciences (both human and alien). Her partner Leo Fitz claims that she's so smart "because she loves homework more than life itself".

Claudia Donovan (Warehouse 13)
Claudia is a computer hacker, inventor and the current caretaker of Warehouse 13. She is a curious, borderline intrusive individual, with a quirky and impulsive nature. She also loves to play with the various gadgets at the Warehouse to occupy herself.

Temperance Brennan (Bones)
I could not do this post without her in it. She started the series as a straightforward, brilliant anthropologist, who lacks social skills. Her social ineptitude is especially apparent when it comes to sarcasm, metaphors which she often interprets literally, and pop culture jokes and is often the source of comedy in the show. Besides these nerdy characteristics, she is also a bestselling author In later seasons she changes into a relatively ‘normal’ person, leaving some of her nerdy characteristics behind and becoming a geek (and even less geeky every episode). I loved her in the first seasons (where I also remember her to be a black belt in a martial art), but when she lost her geeky character, she lost her attraction to me over the last seasons.

Willow Rosenberg (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Willow was a computers geek around 1998, what do I need to say more (except that I was one in 1978, so she is a late bloomer to me).Willow started out as as a member of the Computer, Science, and Math clubs. Later we saw her hacking into computers and becoming a witch. A true and early geek.

Veronica Mars (Veronica Mars)
We marshmallows unite! I had not seen the series until the movie came out and I binged the series in just a few weeks and loved it. Veronica is a college girl who moonlights as a private investigator. She used to be just a popular teen but became a sharp-witted, cynical, edgy outcast after her best friend was killed and she (assumed she) was raped.

Chloe O’Brien (24)
She is exceptionally intelligent and, as so many of our geeks, displays extraordinary mastery of computer science. Where she differs is that she is also proficient with weapons. Starting out as a true nerd, demonstrating a degree of social awkwardness and lack of social graces while being under pressure, she is just a geek with relatively normal social skills in most other situations..

Cosima Neihaus (Orphan Black)
Ah, Orphan Black, one of my favourite series. Cosima is an eccentric, queer, tattooed girl with a scientific mind verging on genius. She's dependable, caring, brave and, like a geek girl should, driven to find answers. She also tends to diverge on scientific topics and can talk relatively fast when she gets excited.

Betty Suarez (Ugly Betty)
To me she is the epitome of what is wrong with this kind of television. After the first minute one can easily see the producers made her ugly. One could assert that we have to look behind what is being done to her, but why do it anyway? Why not use an actress who can be that natural geek one and be ‘as ugly’ as needed to make the show believable. I wouldn’t and couldn’t look behind the awful ‘makeunder’ and that made the series unbearable to me. Be aware, I did not give an opinion on the acting, just the presentation. All in all, she is kind of a geeky person so that’s why I put her in.

There is one character I did not include and that’s Dana Scully. To me, she was not the geek, she was the realistic doctor who balanced Mulder in the X-Files. I saw Gillian Anderson on Top Gear a few weeks ago and on Comic Relief (an English charity evening/event on tv that is better tv than a lot of the 'normal' US programs) last weekend and I really, really adore her. She is so lovable in real life. And, in real life she is the one that is open to the mysteries of X-files and David Duchovny isn’t. But to me she is no geek in that series.

And as always in my posts, these are the ones I am aware of so there will be numerous others. Also, these are my personal opinions and everyone is free to have his or her own opinions. I love to hear them. Please point them out in the comments.

poll

Oh, and just a wakeup call I have to make. Do not think we, geeky, nerdy persons, are the same as the ‘real’ nerdy, geeky girls and boys. The truth is best told in this picture:

And as a reminder: If you liked reading this post, please give it a heart (clicking on the ‘heart symbol in the right upper or lower left corner of the post). It is the reward for us (non-paid amateur) writers who try to make this site more fun for us all.

PS @Arska had kinda the same idea as I had this week and posted a post on the Awesome Woman on TV.
160 Comments
Comments (153)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 24, 2015
Veronica is good at social interaction when she chooses to be, and she's smart, but not like a Smithsonian scientist smart. I don't get her on the list. She was popular and a regular girl until she chose not to be.

PS Veronica is the best, just not a geek.
Flag
Mar 24, 2015
You re not alone in this, I do understand what everyone writes and I did try to explain myself in other comments. It is a grey area and happily it is also the writers prerogative to choose. There is probably no list that would satisfy everybody.
Flag
Mar 25, 2015
Sorry, I didn't read all the comments, just used to babbling my opinion at the staff writers. :) Whatever your reasons, yay for Veronica Mars!
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
As much as I love Felicity Smoak... Only Cosima comes even close to Willow. And Willow is as far above everyone else on this list (which is really nice btw!) as Game of Thrones is above Xena.
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
That is a wonderful proclamation of love for Willow. Thanks.
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds!
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
You're the third one to mention her, so she gets some love. Not from me though, she's not in the top of my list.
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
Charlie from Supernatural
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
You are not alone. But I never saw Supernatural......
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
I think that I have to draw the line onVeronica Mars. Yes, she is all that you say she is but where are the nerdy attributes? She was a popular girl until her wake up call and an unofficial P.I. For her classmates ever since. Where is the awkwardness, the geekiness? She is a beloved TV icon, yes, but not a nerd.
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
I understand what you're saying. I used the digram I out in a comment below (just scroll, you can't miss it). A nerd is different from a geek. Veronica is very social apt, thus a geek and not a nerd. I agree that even some of my suggestions in the post can be seen as a bit nerdy next to them being geeky. I tried to avoind the nerdy ones (although some have been nerds becoming geeks over time).

Veronica is intelligent and as a character also passionate enough to be a nerd The fact that she was a bit strange, an outcast, doing other things then her peers does help. A Veronica aged 30 probably is less of a geek (as the movie showed).

But, it's just my personal opinion as the post says :-).
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for the diagram, I hadn't seen it, it explains a lot and it is helpful. And yes, this is definitely your opinion and as such it's respected. But I'll still try to change it.

These attributes "nerd", "geek", "dweeb" etc are, rightly or wrongly - not for me to discuss right now, pejorative terms indicating some sort of social "handicap".

True, VM has intelligence, probably to a greater degree than the rest of her social/ school circle. Maybe she is even obsessed with solving the show's overarching mystery. She definitely lives (lived...) in the fringes of her society.

But she is not handicapped. Her intelligence, drive, curiosity etc don't automatically put her in a different social status than the rest of her classmates. Outside factors did that.

Since The Nerds and especially since show business discovered that fanboys -geeks and nerds themselves- were a force to be reckoned with in the entertainment industry, the depiction of such awkward social outcasts has changed a lot.

Much as your list shows, nowadays it's "cool" to be a geek ("nerd" is out of fashion it seems), to the extent that people happily wear the name. Hence most of the girls on the list can easily be admired by real-life girls and women. And men as well.

In my book however, a "nerd" or a "geek" still has negative connotations (I'm not from the US, but I'm old enough to remember a time when both in real life and TV the hero was the muscled jock and he got the girl).

These girls are cool and amazing (how could they not be, they're TV heroines) and most of them have a little bit of geekines in them (or they just wear glasses). Not so with VM.
More +
Flag
Mar 24, 2015
We will have to agree to disagree :-). I do understand what you're saying and I know Veronica is on the edge of being geeky, but for me she qualifies.

Yes, those 'old days' when nerds were the idiots of the game are still in my mind. I am an SF fan and they used be called nerds by everyone else. When I was at the 1995 worldcon in Glasgow, there was one person walking around with a Zaphod Beeblebrox two heads (The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy) and who was on the cover of the papers the next day: that guy. The other 4000 had to be nerds too. It even felt a bit nice to be part of minority :-)

I've now put a video in the post from 21 Jump Street that reflects this well (I was not able to last week for some reason).

You are pointing out something that bothers me a bit. Geeks, nerds and dweebs should not be seen as completely normal by the rest. The fact that tv viewers love them is a different issue. Felicity is seen as a geek and I understand that, but when she loses the glasses she would be seen as completely normal in any society. So maybe our definitions should change as the world has changed.
More +
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
Samantha Carter (stargate sg-1) !!!
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
Ow and Chloe Sullivan (smallville)
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
And you are not alone in that. I just had/have not seen those series (yet), so I could not use them (according to my own rules that I mentioned in the post).

But mentioning them (by others) gives them a suitable place in the total geek realm.

Great Firsian name!
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
A little old skool....but l always liked Amanda Pays for her work on Max Headroom.....and playing Tina McGee on The Flash.
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
Not bad, I just did not know her :-)
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
No love for Penelope Garcia - Criminal Minds?
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
Yes, lots of love. Not from me though :-).
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
Hm looking at the girls I'd have to vote for Claudia. Love felicity and Cosima, but Claudia for me is perfect geeky girl. saw her with a lightsabre after all.

Although Sarah Walker.................
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
Yup, perfect.
Flag
Mar 21, 2015

Scooby! Hot, hot, Velma Dace Dinkley.
Linda Cardellini for the win!
Flag
Mar 21, 2015
I never really watched the series, but I get where it's coming from.
Flag
Mar 21, 2015
I don't watch Arrow anymore, but TeamFelicity forever.
Flag
Mar 21, 2015
btw, where is Root in your list ????????
Flag
Mar 21, 2015
I have to give you the same answer as I did a few comments below: For me it's more no than yes. I love POI, I've made several posts about it. In the back of by head I know she's (at least a bit of a) geek, but of late she's portrayed as something else. And that's the way I think of her now and that's probably also why she did not pop up in my head. But, it's absolutely a good call.
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
she starts as a genius selftaught teenage (psychopath) hacker though, evolving into an adult serving as avatar (with guns and smile) for an A.I. if that's not geeky enough, what is ?
Flag
Mar 22, 2015
It's not that as disagree, it just didn't feel right for me the moment I wrote the post :-). I gave myself the question if I would have seen her as a geek girl if I had only known her for the last two/three seasons and it would have been ' no'. She would have been just like Shaw (but a different Shaw) to me. Not geeky.

If I would do the post agaian, I might do it differently. Who knows :-).
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
On the poll, my favorite is Felicity from Arrow. Overall, I'm pretty sure my fave TV geek girl would have to be Mac from Veronica Mars. (I suppose also Maggie on Legends, played by the same actress, Tina Majorino.)

Other personal favorites: Zoe Graystone (Caprica, actress Alessandra Torresani). Kurisu Makise from Steins;Gate (anime, American voice by Trina Nishimura). Velma (Scooby Doo). Last but not least: Samantha Carter (Stargate SG-1).
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
Mac, from Veronica Mars; definitely!!
I never really saw Veronica herself as a "geek" to be honest. She wasn't part of the "in-crowd" (except for in flashbacks) but she became rather infamous, (the graduation scene in S3, when everyone bursts into applause for her) and (fairly) well-liked among the people that knew her. Always clever, and full of snark, but I never thought of her as a geek.
If she is, I definitely think she's one of the cool geeks; like Cosima, (Orphan Black) or Felicity (Arrow). :)
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
Agreed, Veronica is clever and independent, but when she wanted something geeky done, she turned to Mac.

Also, Cosima is great, and #SaveCosima, but I see her as more nerd than geek, though that's not a bad thing at all. (Fun fact: I totally cannot see Tatiana Maslany in Cosima. It's like Clark Kent's glasses or something.)
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
Great choices. Even from a few shows I watched (or at least, watched some episodes from).
Flag
Mar 20, 2015

Flag
Mar 21, 2015
Agreed, if only I had watched the series and had known of her. So thanks for mentioning.
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
Good list, but I think it is missing Charlie from Supernatural! She definitely should be here.
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
She is mentioned more in the 'other' category. I probably would have included her if I had known (of) her. I never watched Supernatural and, as I mentioned in the post, I only include characters of series that I have watched myself (and thus (somewhat) know what I'm talking about :-)).
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
Oh, and by the way, great list! Thank you for taking the time. :)

Flag
Mar 20, 2015
Thank you very much for the kind words!
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
So many of my favorites listed here, it's hard to pick, but I'll go with Veronica Mars, because I think she was the one who stood out most to me as "outside the element".
I do adore Cosima, Abby, Caitlin, Jemma, and of course, Felicity. :)

I never did like the "quirky" things about Bones. I always thought it was too exaggerated. You can understand figure of speech simply by being exposed to them all the time, that's how you learn idiomatic expressions in other languages - someone so smart should have been able to decipher them by adulthood. IMHO, at least.

Flag
Mar 20, 2015
The first seasons for me the 'quirky' part of Bones were exaggerated, but that made them funny most of the times and outside the 'normal'lines of human behaviour. There are people who just do not get it, even if they're very intelligent. I know people like that. It might even be a very little bit autistic.

But, as she was able to adapt in the last few seasons, she should have bee able to do so before So that's where I agree with you.
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
"she (assumed she) was raped." Have you finished watching? I think you might have missed an episode somewhere.
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
I watched the whole series. It is an important part of the series and I just did not want to spoil it for someone who hasn't seen it and still wants to binge it (like I did last year). So, I tried to write it as if it were a general description of the show/girl. But not everyone accepted that (see below) :-).
Flag
Mar 21, 2015
I saw it after I had typed. :) But yeah, avoiding spoilers is always a good idea even with ended shows. New fans should have a chance to be surprised like the rest of us.
Flag
Mar 21, 2015
Thanks for understanding and the vote of confidence.
Flag
Mar 21, 2015
No problem. :) You did a great job.
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Where is Winnifred Burkle?!?! Fred and Chloe Sullivan are seriously needed on this list!
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
As I have explained in comments below, I only chose women in shows I have seen and I chose to include a maximum of one woman per show. All within the writers prerogavtive :-).

I chose Willow over Fred and I have never seen Smallville. But that's where the last option of the poll comes in: naming your own geek girls.

And what I also always say: your list is as good and valid as mine and please make your own post about it. I will be hapy to read an dcomment to it.
Flag
Mar 26, 2015
Ha ha, I didn't read too far down in all the comments. Hence why I didn't see that. Not to be snooty, but I agree with Mey, Angel/Buffy definitely two different shows even if the same world. Or maybe I'm just bias because Fred is my handsdown absolute favorite!!! As for Smallville, you should definitely watch it. Not only is it pure super hero awesomeness, but there's plenty of it to binge on! :)
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
c'mon I think Chloe Sullivan should top that list
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Chloe most definitely should have been on the list! Epic powerful female Geeky sidekick all into one!
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
And you have every right to that opinion!
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Felicity from Arrow and Nell Jones from NCIS: Los Angeles!
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Nell would/could definitively quaslify, but she was not in the top of my list.
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Katie from No ordinary family should be mentioned.

She was clearly written (and cast) to be some kind of dream girl for male nerds.

Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Thank you for mentioning her. Another lady I did not know of yet.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
There are geeks and there are nerds, Temperance Brennan is a nerd!
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
You are correct, and there is also an overlap. The most famous diagram describing it is

One could argue she is in all three corners, making her a nerd and I could agree with that. But off late she has become more social and might have moved from nerd to geek. But in the end, we're all a bit strange.
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Wow this is interesting! Let me see... I might be right on the border between Geek & Nerd because my "social ineptitude" has been tampered by age and softened by... a lot of training ROFL!
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Ah, at least you think you're intelligent :-)
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
ROFL! Usually most of the time :-P
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
Thank you for posting this.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
Dana Scully is in my opinion the geekest geek of the nineties.
IMHO you don't need to believe in flying saucers and alien life to qualify for geeky status.
True science geeks only deal in facts, as did she.

I would add Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist, even though it's an anime, it's still on TV. She's a very gifted prosthesis mechanic.

In today's TV Schedule, I'd have to mention Piper from OITNB. Yes she's not a scientific one but I have to say "mad props" for making a back soothing cream by grinding hot peppers with her teeth. That's some awesome craftsmanship plus she's very socially awkward in the beginning.

Cheers
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Thanks for the additions.

As you have read, I do not share yoir opinon on Dana Scully, but I might be a minority I know.

Science kees are a subcategory of the geeks, just a sort that arw geeks and also think that the world is based on scinetific achievements. But being the latter only, makes one not a geek. Milder was and she was his balance.
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for that comment. Btw you should really reread yourself. Cheers :)
Flag
Mar 23, 2015
Just blame the fact that I'm not native English (and the bottle of Lagavulin).

I am a little ashamed though :-)
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
I second Dana Scully plus she was cute when younger and now as a women she is HOTTT (tsssss sizzles :-P)
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
oops sorry I meant **as a woman**
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
Yes she is. She was gorgeous in the Top Gear episode a few weeks ago,
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
Cosima and Felicity are my faves
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
We are forgetting about ROOT in Person of Interest! She gives geeky a new meaning! :-P
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
Yeah she adds psycho to the list.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
That is a very special kinda combination one should be very afraid of.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
That kind of crazy makes for good sex, unless she puts a gun to your head.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
I had to think a minute before I could answer your question. For me it's more no than yes. And you know I love POI, I've made several posts about it. In the back of by head I know she's (at least a bit of a) geek, but of late she's portrayed as something else. And that's the way I think of her now and that's probably also why she did not pop up in my head. But, it's absolutely a good call.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
That actress missed out twice as she also merited an inclusion as Fred in Angel too.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
Yep. I must be the only one on this site who never saw Buffy and Angel (they were aired in period in my life I was doing something else), but I probably will have to binge them someday.

So, on the one hand I was not really aware of her existence but while gathering information for this post I saw her mentioned as a Buffy character. I already had chosen not to include more than one character per series and for Buffy is was Willow. Including her (and I believe we need someone from Buffy) already was outside my comfort zone as I tend to include only series I have seen. But, I will not forget her any more :-)
Flag
Mar 19, 2015
@Rolamb that is easily fixed: run to your nearest DVD store and get all 7 seasons of Buffy and all 5 of Angel.

If your inner child is all grown up :-P you will at least enjoy the well written characters, stories and arcs in general (plus aesthetically it is also a pleasure)... and if your inner child is still a child you will get a lot of validation! LOL!

Flag
Mar 18, 2015
@bluemorphotat

You address another question I had when writing the post, should I call them girls or women. For someone of my age, they're all girls :-). But, uou're right, she definitively is a woman and a fine one too.

Do not confuse psycho for geekness, they are a different kind of mess. If you combine them, you might get something Root is now and I am fascinated by it, though I do not think I want to be anything but her friend, as anything else would be very dangerous.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
PLUS she's not a "girl" she's full woman ;-P

AND... don't let her psycho streak confuse you... :-D
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
I would also nominate Penelope Garcia of Criminal Minds,.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
You are not the only one. She will be thankful for your votes. Next time I will take her into consideration.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
What about Astrid Farnsworth from "Fringe"?. She started as Walter's caretaker, but them she quickly became the best lab assistant that a mad scientist as Walter could ask for.
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
That could have been a good one. I love Fringe! But as you said, she only became/seemed to be a bit geeky because she was in the vicinity of that other über geek Walter.
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
Where is García? :(
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
She's at home, thanking you for the vote of confidence!

I did not include her as she is not in my top-12 list and I had to choose (and as said in the post, it is my list and absolutely feel free to add your personal favourites just like you did!). Thanks.
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
Veronica Mars? I don't get it - she was about as geeky as Buffy...
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
If someone is called a geek or not in a post is of course only up to the writer of that post. It is his (or her) personal opinion on it. For me Veronica is geeky enough because she was different enough from the mainstream.

That's why I write in this post: "these are my personal opinions and everyone is free to have his or her own opinions".

I completely understand that someone might have another opinion. Everyone is also free to write a post on their own geeky characters.

And, wasn't Buffy also at least a bit geeky?
Flag
Mar 18, 2015

Sorry, didn't mean to offend - just respectfully disagreeing. VM was an alpha female all the way - remember when the secret society boys tried to intimidate her by making her do karaoke, and she hit it out of the park with Blondie's "One Way Or Another"? Not your typical geek by any stretch IMHO...
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
Actually I did just recall one semi-geeky scene, when her laptop had been tampered with and she took it to the school IT tech. He asks her what her password is - dog, cat, or maybe her boyfriend's name - and she rattles off something like sQ!
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
Eh, rereading my own comment (and being completely sober when I wrote it (honestly)), I do not know what I wanted to write. My thoughts and my fingers obviously were not in the same realm. It might have been: 'For me, she might be an alpha female within the context of the series". I will be retreating to an mental institution for the next week........
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
You're very much welcome and I was certainly not offended :-)

For me, alpha female correct environment. And she certainly was no ordinary female.

I did not remeber that scene immediately, but I do now. Thanks for reminding me.
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
Sam Carter(SG-1), Kaylee(Firefly), Fred(Angel), Charlie(Supernatural), Chloe Sullivan(Smallville).
Sam's my personal favourite and she seems to have gone missing so far from this list. No matter how many stars she blew or what color was her motorcycle she was still a truly beautiful geek.
I also feel like someone should give a mention to Doctor Jennifer Keller just because those are two very different strawberry loving geeks played by Jewel Staite.
Thank you for this topic Rolamb, I missed you.
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
Thanks for the kind words.

I think one could argue whether Sam is a geek or not, but I'm not really a SG-1 connoisseur.

Reading your comment, you are also in support of a 'Whedonese geek girl' election so do not be surprised if you see one in a few weeks.

Thanks for missing me. I thought I have been around all the time, though obviously not very noticeable outside the Fascape community. If you want to know what I've written, you can always look at the list of my posts. I especially love the less serious ones.
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
Oh, Sam's a geek. No matter how many Jaffas ass she kicked or Baal faces she punches, she still has the right nerdy attitude.
As for the Whedonverse I have a conffesion, I'm only watching Buffy and Angel now. Season six and season three. I made a trade with a friend, she finished both of them and now she's watching Farscape and loving it. We had some huge fights about a whole lot of of not serious things and about girl geeks.
Maybe it's me who hasn't been around. When it comes to fandoms I usually just check in on OUaT nowdays(is it a fandom if most people just turn if the laugh is at the expense of the show?) and it only just returned. I'll try to pay more attention from now on. I really like these discussions.
Flag
Mar 20, 2015
Thanks for remembering Kayley and Carter! Both characters I loved. Carter was special because she was just plain awesome, haha.
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
Chloe "Braniac" Sullivan is missing, so votes for Smoak, Snow, and Simmons.
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
By mentioning her, you still give her your vote :-)

I never saw Smallville, that's why I did not include her. But happily others like you did and give her the honour she deserves.
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
For correction: Veronica Mars was raped. Don't wanna say names because of spoilers (since this in a non VM thread) but there was a person she assumed and thus negated him as culprit so discounting that she still was raped.
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
I tried to make it as generic as possible not the give any spoilers. Thanks for spoiling it anyway.
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
uhhhhhh she suspects just about everybody. much like any crime to be solved.

but considering you didn't know mac was a girl....
Flag
Mar 17, 2015
Didn't remember it was the name of a girl ....
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
Also don't understand why Veronica is listed as a geek. Clearly the main geeks of the show were Mac and Cassidy .
Flag
Mar 18, 2015
Hm, my earlier answer to you is gone. I answered that Mac indeed is a girl making halve of my answer wrong.

I did not include her because I did not remember her (she obviously made less off an impact) and even so, I would not have included her as I chose to include a maximum of one person per show and I chose Veronica. The writers prerogative.

The voters love her, you should be pleased.
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
The title of the post is: Who Are Our Favourite Geek Girls. All the people mentioned are girls.

Mac and Cassidy are boys. Did that answer your question?
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
Mac is a girl, played by actress Tina Majorino (Napoleon Dynamite, Grey's Anatomy).
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
Ah. thanks for making me see my mistake. I've corrected my answer (above) to the lady who mentioned her.
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
willow always and forever!
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
She will appreciate the vote of confidence!
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
Nice post Rolamd.

I went for the "original" geek, Willow Rosenberg, not only for the "geekiness & adorableness" factor and also not only because she is one of the oldest geek characters is TV land, but also because she had amazing character development over BtVS' seven year run (even becoming a true and scary villain in the shows admittedly best season), making her one of the most interesting characters of her era, geek or no geek.
Flag
Mar 16, 2015

Flag
Mar 16, 2015
I thought about Bernadette, but didn't want to put more then one women of TBBT in. And Amy seems far more geek/nerd/different then Bernadette. Bernadette seems more normal (which is a very relative term in that series of course).
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
Dr. Holly Marten on Eureka, played by the real-life ultimate adorable geek Felicia Day
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
Damn! how could I've forgotten the adorable on-and-off screen geek, Felicia!

Good call dna77054!
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
That is a great one. And I agree, Felicity is a very adorable geek in real life.
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
Chloe Sullivan (Smallville)
Winifred "Fred" Burkle (Angel)
Diane Hughes (Jake 2.0)
Charlie (Supernatural)
Maxine Gibson (Batman Beyond)
Mac (Veronica Mars)
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
I take Chloe, Fred and Charlie.
Flag
Mar 16, 2015
You obviously like a lot of other geeks then I do.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members