A horror Community
It’s a given that most supernatural dramas are centered on small towns. This classic setting/trope has been used since the early 60s when The Twilight Zone was still airing and at its height of popularity. It’s the remoteness of these small towns (which hints to the possibility of sinister secrets and weird occurrences happening) that really amplify the horror and mystery. The unnatural things that often happen can be mildly unsettling or they can be extremely outrageous. The towns of the following supernatural dramas demonstrates just how anything can happen in a small town that’s in the realm of the impossible.

Mystic Falls, The Vampire Diaries

When asking the title question, it’s no surprise that Mystic Falls is the first to come to mind. Even with the added benefit of a secret town council with some knowledge of the supernatural incidents in town stretching back to 1864, they’re ultimately useless. The council has been unsuccessful due to their incompetency in preventing the chaos that Mystic Falls’ supernatural inhabitants have inflicted. This kind of pandemonium has led to plenty of mysterious disappearances and a ridiculously high rate of death. Vampires, witches, doppelgangers, werewolves and at one point, the Mikaelson family have all called Mystic Falls home which doesn’t bode well for its human residents. In fact, it’s surprising that the majority of its human population remain oblivious to the supernatural shenanigans and haven’t gotten the hell out of dodge considering the outrageous amount of deaths. Hell, even the town’s name is a big clue that something isn’t right with this small Virginian town.

Beacon Hills, Teen Wolf

Just like Mystic Falls, Beacon Hills is no stranger to any form of supernatural chaos. However, its supernatural inhabitants are a little more diverse considering that it has been populated by werewolves, banshees, werecoyotes, kitsunes, kanimas, nogitsunes, hellhounds and darachs. In the past, a family of hunters called the Argents have helped in minimizing the damage that some of these supernatural creatures have caused even though their tense relations with the Hale family made things worse. These days, Scott’s pack which consists of a True Alpha werewolf, a wisecracking human, a banshee, a beta werewolf, a kitsune and a werecoyote have mainly taken over the mantle of protecting the town from incoming supernatural threats. The fact that Beacon Hills is protected by just a couple of kids still in high school is both hilarious and just a tad depressing. It also doesn’t help that the Nemeton in the woods acts as a beacon (hence the town name) towards this Californian town for all supernatural beings.

White Pine Bay, Bates Motel

Okay so even though Bates Motel isn’t a supernatural drama, I couldn’t help but throw in the town where Norman Bates currently calls home into the mix. Also, Carlton Cuse (co-creator) admitted that the inspiration for White Pine Bay was ripped off of Twin Peaks so there’s that. This town doesn’t need to have supernatural creatures running around to be hectic, it’s already disturbing enough on its own. Even before the Bates had moved in, White Pine Bay has had a sordid history with some of its residents and local law enforcement officials in on it. The town is run on drug money, has been a prime location for an illegal sex-slave business and has been a setting for some gang warfare between the Ford and Morgan crime families. Add in the Bates family with Norma’s special brand of crazy and Norman’s penchant for murdering people due to his “mother’s” influence and White Pine Bay is one helluva dysfunctional town.

New Orleans, American Horror Story: Coven/The Originals

Technically, New Orleans isn’t a small town but rather a big city. However, it’s a city where both the Mikaelson family (The Originals) and the ladies of Miss Robicheaux’s Academy (American Horror Story: Coven) call home. On The Originals, New Orleans has been occupied by the standard vampires, werewolves and witches similar to Mystic Falls’ brand of supernatural creatures considering that The Originals and The Vampire Diaries are set in the same universe. The Original family of vampires called the Mikaelsons currently reign supreme where tightly organized covens of witches, packs of werewolves and a significantly sized vampire community have previously fought each other for ultimate control of the French Quarter. The human faction do possess some knowledge of the city’s supernatural inhabitants but even that doesn’t prevent the deaths and disappearances of residents/tourists that often occur.

Over on American Horror Story: Coven, witches and demons wreak havoc on New Orleans that often result in some ghastly consequences. Some supernatural shenanigans include Madison’s flipping over of a bus filled with people via telekinesis thereby killing most of them, Madison and Zoe’s raiding of a local morgue to magically create a FrankenKyle and Fiona’s tendency to murder to secure her place as the Supreme. The city’s real life grisly history consisting of serial killers (e.g. the Axeman’s Letter), the Casket Girls and its witchy origins do lend a certain sense of authenticity to the crazy affairs of both shows as well as contribute to the city’s brand of macabre culture.

So, which of the above towns/cities are the most supernaturally dysfunctional? Feel free to include/discuss other TV towns that are equally bizarre in the comments below.
4 Comments
Comments (4)
Submit
Mar 02, 2016
Shockingly, I have not watched any of the shows featuring the towns you mentioned in your article.

Interesting article nevertheless! I enjoyed reading it. This is weird. I always assumed that I loved these supernaturally charged towns but now that I think about it, I've only really experienced Silent Hill from the game series of the same name. Sorry that I can't really strike up a conversation about the subject, haha.
Flag
Mar 02, 2016
I think we have different tastes in shows so that's probably why you haven't seen any of the shows mentioned in the article. Additionally, I haven't heard of Silent Hill but judging from the name itself, it seems like creepy shit has gone down in that town.

Thank you for taking the time out to read it and provide your thoughts/hilarious memes. It's great to hear that you enjoyed my article. Don't be sorry, technically, you did start a conversation that's actually relevant to the article. :)
Flag
Mar 02, 2016
Still crossing my fingers for a Silent Hill TV series.
Flag
Mar 03, 2016
That would be really fantastic. Though Konami is literally the shittiest company on planet Earth so I really doubt we're going to see any sorts of TV-shows or movies or even games about Silent HIll anymore.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members