Subsoil Shoot (Jordskott) is a TV-series currently airing in Sweden about a small community and fairy tales. Where the fairy tales become the weed of society. The tales, or rather, reality transforms to nature. In a way nature reclaims its grasp over society.

An international trailer has been released and the series has reached episode 5 as I write this.

One day, Police detective Eva Thörnblad (Moa Gammel) loses her daughter in the woods, under suspicious circumstances. Seven years later she returns to her hometown where her daughter went missing. Now, other children are getting vanished. Similarities with Les Revenants and Twin Peaks make me like this. It works really well on its own, though. It builds on myths about creatures of the woods and breathes naturalism. Be afraid of our earth. Or, rather, take care of our earth - or it takes care of you...

Palladium Pictures and Swedish network TV (SVT) are producing this tale of fiction in a dark and creepy way.

14 Comments
Comments (14)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
And now I've seen it (last days) and the pilot was great. After a few episodes it became worse and worse. It felt like one big deus ex-machina in the end.

Although the main female character was good in the pilot, I lost any interest in her in the following episodes as she was just an idiot. Not like one of those UK detectives who risk their own lives by doing things on the edge of law, she was just plain stupid in the things she did. And why, for rescuing her daughter of rescuing the other kids?

For some time I thought the writers hated men as all the women had power over the men in some way, and especially by withholding kids from them. In the end I concluded they hated women by portraying them as many of the main characters are only guided by their own beliefs and emotions and do not care for anybody else (like the ones they seem to care for).

Nothing is explained in any way, we have to believe the things we we get to know in the last few episodes and there is no reason given why we should believe it. The explanations given are so feeble I could not use them to wipe my ass.

If you're going for a Gaia theory, there is so much to explore. They should have build a Gaia world with a living forest and not have only shown us shades. Mums is never shown, the fish that clears the water is never shown (yes, when he was very small), the trees never do anything, the ground just gives away etc. We are not shown anything to make it believable. We just have to believe and the basis for that is too small. The daughter turning into a kind of ground tree should have been emotional, but it did nothing for me. It just made me ask the question why mummy, who did the most incredible stupid things to keep her daughter 9,9 episodes, was so happy the last 0,1 episode.

And there were so many other stupid moment in the series, too many to mention. Ok, just one. Why did Wass take Eva to Ylva to cure her saying it was to far to take her to a hospital. If that was to be true, the writer should have given us some idea about the distances. Now it just sounded a stupid reason to administer that 'cure'. Let's also not forget mommy Gerda, who was the most healthy and interesting person during the first nine episodes. Then halfway through episode ten it is revealed she has cancer and she dies about an hour in (show) real time later. All for the effect.

So, that's my rant for the most disappointing series I've seen over the last year. It had such a brilliant pilot and it came to offend my intelligence in the end.

I assume the good ratings came from people like you who rated in the start of the series. Or, I've offended you by my rant.

I do hope it will not be renewed for a second season, I have no questions left.
More+
Flag
I agree with you that this show was kind of bad in many aspects, but regarding the "fantasy" part most of those creatures are supposed to be very wellknown beings from swedish mythology, they are not explained further on purpose. These are creatures that everybody believed in some hundred years ago.

Most of these creatures are dangerous, or atleast untrustworthy or vengeful if you cross them. The fish is not a fish it is "Näcken" (Nudie) a man who lived in streams, played a fiddle and lured people to their death, like mermaids or sirens. The "electric" girl is a "Skogsrå" or "Huldra", also a creature who lured people away for various reasons. She was supposed to be very beautiful from the front which attracted males, but her backside was hollow, or hairy, and she had a tail. The details kind of differs regionally. Same thing with those creatures who lived underground, they are some kind of gnomes or something keeping the woods safe, but not people you want to cross. The earthseeds and roots have no mythological connection as far as i know, those were invented for the show. Also, in mythology these creatures had no connection with each other either, other than being dangeorus for humans. The woman Ylva was clearly a witch of somekind though and the guys being killed were classical trolls.

They did not want to name/specify these creatures or demystify them to much, and that was probably the reason they did not explain them further or show them clearly or in their true form. That is part of the mythology, that they are supposed to be mysterious and unknown. Nobody has ever seen them and lived. Most swedes are familiar with them, so we were supposed to think "oh, so that is who that is supposed to be." For a swede the logic with the creatures makes sense.
More +
Flag
Thanks for the explanation. It now makes at least a bit sense why there is so few explained in the show.
Flag
Oh well, the pilot was good. Let's stick to that. I'm a guy who think things can have a good premise. Then, writers and actors can butcher the whole thing. Sure.

Thanks for your honest review, Rolamb.

I like the theme and guess I'm blinded by the fantasy of it, A hope that a broken series will get better.
Flag
I understand the fantasy part, but even fantasy should be logical and acceptable. For me it felt like there was no overall fantasy story to it, just incidents. That's where the deus-ex-machina came from. Just individual incidents not linked in a bigger fantasy world. The Gaia world had not ben worked out at all and I did not believe in it. As mentioned above, that fish(?) that should clear the water, where did that come from? Another river and why would it grow in her bath and why would it not grow in that other river, how is it related to Mum and why etc. etc. etc.

I loved Fortitude a lot better. A bit the same premise: an older crime, a new crime and a policeperson from outside coming in and helping the local police, but Fortitude got better over time and I found it to logical and pretty believable. I'm not sure if you've seen it already but if not, you should. In case you haven't, I will not spoil it.
Flag
I saw a series called The other side of the Lake, or something similar. It had some fantasy element as well. Might be wrong about the name. Haven't seen Fortitude, thanks!
Flag
Looks interesting. I do hope I will be able to catch it later.
Flag
It's a 10 episodes season. They are discussing a second season. Let's see how the subtitled UK airing is received.
As with most TV-series, a good idea rarely becomes a great story. Let's hope minor flaws don't hinder a decent attempt to something different and rare.
In Jordskott the Police isn't very bright. The bad guys are not entirely black, rather greyish with white streaks. The atmosphere is great, as great woods might get anyways.
15 years ago, another Swedish TVseries with a similar feel aired, Radioskugga (Blind Spot ie: Radio Shadow).

Flag
Well, I need the UK subtitles, I can't even order a beer in Swedish .....
Flag
En stor stark, tack!
Done!
Or just yell ÖL! (Gets weird in German...)
Flag
The series will be picked up in UK by ITV.
Airs in UK ITV
Flag
It looks interesting, are there any english subs?
Flag
It is not subtitled yet. The series is available for direct play via SVT Sweden. As it is a new series, subtitles are not available from the source material. That is pretty much what I can tell you.

Regards, Dave
Flag
Thanks, then I need to wait .
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members