poll
Comments (117)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jack Carter from Eureka should count
Flag
I went for 'Other' after @RobertRath made me realize Farscape's John Crichton was more fiercely protective than Lost's Michael Dawson.

Michael only destroyed a freighter to save his son, Crichton was willing to destroy the Universe to save his baby.
Flag
Adama (whilst awesome and fierce and one of my favourite characters ever) was more protective of Starbuck than his own kid, come on! Voted for Noah Bennett although I probably would've gone Walter Bishop if he was on the list
Flag
I know almost no one watched that show, but: Does anyone have an opinion about the fathers from Caprica?

Battlestar Galactica then?
Flag
Adama all the way!!! Why is Tom Neville even on this list? Protect his son? For a while he didn't give a s*&^ about his kid!
Flag
And yet he kept him alive, which is more than I could say for Ben Matheson (or Rachel!) regarding Danny.

RIP the Matheson men.
Flag
If we were talking about father figures in general, not just series regulars and biological dads, then the winner would be Arik Soong. Though you would never guess it from "Star Trek" the original series or "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan," Dr. Arik Soong was a passionate man who would stop at nothing to protect the lives of his genetically modified embryos. As seen in "Star Trek: Enterprise," Soong was obsessed with his children and was loyal to a a fault. Despite the death and destruction his creations caused, he continued to champion for their rights. He persecuted, deceived, and committed countless crimes against Starfleet and its people in a desperate attempt to keep his children from harm. Though the relationships were born in a lab, there was no greater example of love between a father and his children than that of Dr. Arik Soong and his augments.

But in regards to the given options....

Tom Neville is most certainly NOT a protective father. The only person he's proven to give a damn about is himself. He only ever uses his son Jason in his schemes to get ahead and get power. Jason was such a fool to stay behind...he should've stayed with the good guys!

Bill Adama straddled the line on this one. He had a rocky relationship with his son, and for the most part, he played the commanding officer loyal to his fleet than he played the loving father loyal to Apollo. He loved him, sure, but I always saw the Adama men as colleagues before family.

Noah Bennet was that guy you initially loved, then grew to hate, and then loved more and more with each passing episode. He truly loved Claire, no matter how he initially felt about our "Heroes." His love was unconditional, and though we didn't see it at first, he was a champion for his daughter. He did everything in his power to protect his family, even if that meant playing the villain and incurring his own daughter's wrath. Bill Adama, while awesome in his own right, doesn't compare to Noah Bennet.
More+
Flag
Is strictly fiercely protective fathers from Science fiction, under "Other":
  • Jack Carter from Eureka should count where Dr. Who would not,
  • The 4400's Tom Baldwin should count where Joe Dubois from Medium would not,
  • Flashforward's Mark Benford, Lloyd Simcoe and Demetri Cho (last-minute-father of his partner's baby) definitely count where Dr. Soong and his clones should not, etc.
Flag
Walter Bishop of Fringe. Willing to cross dimensions and risk destroying the universe for his son.
Flag
I second this, I voted for Adama but if Walter Bishop was on the list it would be different. Walter Bishop all the way
Flag
Yea wtf wheres jonathan kent from smallville
Flag
John Crichton - Farscape: unleashed a wormhole that could destroy the Universe and was willing to let it do so unless peace was agreed to.
Flag
And his son must have been a couple of hours old, at most.

If that's not fiercely protective, I don't know what is.
Flag
Walter Bishop- Fringe
Flag
Walter Bishop Fringe! Most Fiercely Protective Father Ever!
Flag
Johnston Green from Jericho wasn't so bad either.

From what I've heard, so was Journeyman's Dan Vasser.
Flag
Walter Bishop Fringe?

Flag
Want to give a shout out to Captain Chuck Taggart from Odyssey 5. Like Adama had a bit of a blind spot and not seeing things wend wrong with one of his sons, but he always wanted the best for his sons and would do everything for them. (It helps that Taggert is played by Peter Weller.)
Flag
Sometimes I wish Medium was Sci-fi instead of Fantasy, if only because Joe Dubois had a way to see what went wrong with his daughters, and to adjust himself to the situation regardless of what he felt about it.
Flag
I used to watch medium semi regular until about when Joe was setting up his own buisness at that point there where some minor problems with one of the daughters. It sounds like that escalated.
Flag
Joe was more upset about how people might react towards the girls because of their abilities, rather than what his daughters might do with them.

It was the perfect opposite of Det. Scanlon, who was fascinated by his mini-Allisons and never had a doubt the girls could handle the attention as well their mother.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Now that I got time to think about it, I will stick to my first choice ...Benjamin Sisko!Look, he had to protect his kid from the Borg,The Cardassians,The Maquis,The Klingons,The Jem'hadar,the evil Kai Winn,The Dominion,The Par-wraiths,space viruses,time travel,making sure Jake(because of Nog)didn't end up in Odo's jail,while running a space station and leading a war front against The Dominion and in the end, sacrificed himself to protect his son,new wife and the entire Galaxy from being destroyed!Now if that doesn't give him Father of the Century award,I don't know what would!This is why Deep Space Nine is STILL my favorite show!:)
Flag
Thing is: none of these fathers are perfect, they were just fiercely protective of their offsprings at one point or another.

Whether they fought against aliens, cylons, The Others, zombies or nanites they never gave up.
Flag
Jonathan Kent in Smallville. Still one of the best dads we've seen in TV.

Seriously, very surprised no one mentioned Pa Kent.
Flag
You're absolutely right!

How could I miss him, that's totally my bad.
Flag
And he fought against aliens from Krypton (the guy was badass!).
Flag
If you have seen this, and haven't seen "Battlestar Galactica" why don't you "netflix" it immediately because it's a MUST SEE, EPIC of a story and these other shows... "Heroes" is worth watching but all the others completely suck, and "Heroes" jumped the shark in it's 4th of 5 seasons. It was questionable in the 3rd, so it's only a half-show. Battle Star Galactica is a heard stopping drama. This is coming from a man that has seen EVERYTHING, my knowledge will guarantee to rival that of the reviewers and authors that work for TV.com. Challenge me with Trivia on ANYTHING. (I don't watch stupid ass or horrific shows, so no Questions about the idiotic shows (besides game of thrones) HBO has come out with as it's "original series" since "the sopranos" they had YEARS of HIT after HIT, and now, besides game of thrones, they haven't produced anything worth taking a puke on in years.
Flag
"Dexter" and "Weeds" and showtimes other offerings weren't perfect, but HBO was releasing stupid ass ciname verite bullshit about a white haired man and cancelled 1 season ass-hat shows.
Flag
You should force every voter to articulate in his/her own words why they voted. Once you see € of the vote don't even know the characters kid's, or perhaps even the FATHER'S storyline, but in fact just voted for the show they liked. You'd see. Only about a dozen of these votes actually came from guys who watched ALL series, ALL episodes, knew ALL the characters, and voted honorably. BTW, Revolution, Defiance, and Falling skies have NO RIGHT to even touch this list. Are you serious? I can think of 1,000 better choices, Shit.... Heroes barely deserves a mention. The only "admirable protective father" on this, is William Adama, the only choice.

Flag
I agree. The game of thrones "best event of season 3" boiled down to popularity of charecters. This will be voted on not by the father-son story lines, but people will click for their favorite show.... I clicked for my favorite show, BUT NOT because It's my FAVORITE SHOW... because I truly believe it had the best father-son thing, and I've seen them all. If you've only seen "Lost" please do not vote for "lost" because it's your favorite TV show. I can't remember Bennet's or Dawson's kid's names.... It wasn't that good. Noah Bennet being a distant second? Unacceptable. Just fanboys of lost. No one with honor in their heart would vote that. It's fanboys voting for favorite show. Make this a favorite show post, don't waste your time.
Flag
Michael Dawson's kid was "Waaaaaaaaalt!"

It's impossible to forget it after Lost's first season finale.
Flag
these polls often turn into popularity contests about show X instead of who actually was the most fiercely protective father. I think Bennet was more protective of Claire than Adama was of Lee.. even though Adama was def the bigger badass.
Flag
I don't know, people often forget Noah Bennet was more of a Company man on Heroes and he used Claire for his bosses's purposes way into season 3.

Adama was fiercely protective of all the fleet and not just Lee, but he never used his son for cylon experiments.
Flag
Michael Britten (Jason Isaacs) Awake
Flag
His mind found a way to shield his son from death (or was it his wife?): that's fiercely protective right there.
Flag
Lots of people saying Walter Bishop but Walter wasn't being protective when he stole Peter from Walternate, he was acting purely for selfish reason. Don't get me wrong, I love Walter, and his relationship with Peter, but that's not what the question is about. Same with Adama, one of my favourite characters ever. But he let his son go into danger constantly so he wasn't over protective, but he did love his son. As @GregDiaz1 says below, Noah Bennet was crazy protective.
Flag
I don't know if I agree with Water only acting selfishly. His original intention was to cure Peter "over there" and leave him. Then when the vial broke he planned to take him, cure him, and return him. But his wife more-or-less demanding they keep him... he kept him out of weakness and loss. He was near the edge, but his wife's reaction pushed him over it.

Sure it was partially selfish... he wanted a version of Peter somewhere to survive. But when you look at it like that, most parents are selfish. They want THEIR kids to be safe because they are THEIR kids.
Flag
My vote goes for John Robinson, from Lost in Space.

Flag
By the way, look at those tin-foil outfits. Do you want anything any more sci-fi than that?
Flag
And to think Borgs would steal their looks - and the robot's - only a few Star Treks later...

Great pick mad-pac!
Flag
Interesting, I've never thought of those outfits this way. Obviously they were inspired in those silver thermal blankets used by firemen and rescuers. They gave the Robinsons a futuristic look and would be very practical. The robot had an iconic look, something original (though vaguely inspired in Robbie, from the movie Forbidden Planet) and very different from a humanoid design.

I used to watch this show a lot as a kid. Great childhood memories.
Flag
I'm voting for Darth Vader and his tough love.
Flag
He got a Jedi master and a Princess out if it, tough love does work.
Flag
At least Adama let his son fight and surrogate daughter into the cockpit of a fighter and face danger. Noah gets my vote because he was being over protective of a daughter that was basically indestructible.
Flag
...and the adoptive son no one mentions after season one.

(Seriously, what happened with Lyle Bennet?)
Flag
Joined Chris Brody in karate classes?
Flag
I think, nothing and no one can beat Adama.
Flag
I was browsing and noted "Walter Bishop" within one of the posts. I voted for Adama and likely would do the same, but with Walter Bishop on the list I would seriously have to stop and think. The other choices don't fit the frame of the question as well as Bill Adama seems to.
Flag
Walter's son died and then he stole someone else's son. I think he'd win lengths a dad will go to to still have a son.
Flag
True, he knew his child was dead - which was heartbreaking - Walter loved Peter like a son, but deep down inside, he always knew hie just borrowed him.
Flag
Bill Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Flag
I like Adama, not only he protected his son and surrogate daughters, but he became a fiercely protective father for the people in his fleet too.
Flag
I like that, a surrogate dad to everyone on the ship :)
Flag
walter bishop
Flag
Peter Bishop!
Flag
Peter really hit beyond the limits, but in revenge.
Flag
Where is Ben Sisko?!?! I'm disapointed in you, how could anyone forget The Sisko.
Flag
My bad.

Benjamin Sisko was one of the most fiercely protective fathers in Science Fiction long before Adama.
Flag
Definitely Walter Bishop from Fringe! His protectiveness of a child he perceived as his, while actually being of the alternate world led to the destruction of between-worlds canvass and shaking the natural balance. My vote goes to him, even though I'm well aware of the fact that in "actual" reality his protectiveness ended with his institutionalization. However, the story behind the story - hell yeah!
Flag
He almost caused the destruction of two universes so he can save Peter.
Flag
Peter went back and forward in time for both Walter and Etta, if there's a fiercely protective father on Fringe that was him.
Flag
I'd say every Bishop - Walter, Walternate and Peter, no question.

Flag
I like that
Flag
Right?
But then again, when TV.com listed the best episodes of all shows - Fringe didn't even get a mention, so what do they know;)
Still, being that Father-son relationship was THE driving force behind Fringe, I find it really strange(and actually kinda insulting towards phenomenal John Noble)that they wouldn't get a shout-out..
Flag
I've always felt like Peter was sometimes the father and sometimes the son.

Walternate was always the father (same goes to the August and September Observers) but, in many ways, Walter used to be Peter's child as well as his father.
Flag
Absolutely, and the writers handled the balance perfectly,
without it ever becoming ridiculous - extremely funny at times, yes - but never ridiculous.

And as you say - what "awoke" September was also the love between father and son. He first became attached to the Bishop's and then his own son.

Come to think about it, pretty much every character was driven by some kind of parental love - it was if nothing else a theme for every character.

The Bishop's off course,
Olivia(Her abusive stefather, the loss of her mother, and getting to see her "again" Over There. Not to mention caring and being cared for by Walter)

Astrid had a very close bond with her father, something her alternate self was very envious of.
Nina was always a mother figure to Olivia through the various stages/timelines in their lives.
Alt-Broyles was driven by a cure for his son.

It's a huge theme throughout the series, perhaps even more so than that the danger of advanced technology and playing God. Although that, and taking responsibility for ones actions and redemption is an important theme as well.
More +
Flag
If were talking all sci-fi,my vote goes to Benjamin Sisko! If it's only recent sci-fi,then I vote Tom Mason(Falling Skies) or Rick Grimes(Walking Dead)if Walking Dead is considered sci-fi!
Flag
Walking Dead seems more fantasy than sci-fi as the zombies are not created by technology (as far as we know).
Flag
Dr. Jenner and the zombies madeit Sci fi to me, but I feel is more of a post-apocalyptic world scenario than actual Sci-fi
Flag
Bill Adama without a doubt the most fierce father figure in Sci Fi. Not only for Apollo, Starbuck (who he treated like a daughter), his Battlestar crew but for an entire fleet of refugees on the run for their lives and under dire circumstances... Clearly no contest, not sure why it's a poll and not a statement.
Flag
I like Ben Linus too, other than his miscalculated gamble with Martin Keamy, he fiercely protect his adoptive daughter from Charles Widmore, The Others, Dharma Initiative, Rousseau and The Black Smoke Monster alike.

Even in the hereafter Alex saw him as the only father she had ever known.
Flag
Walter would get my vote too.
Flag
Does Fringe count as sci-fi? Because Walter Bishop HELL YES.
Flag
Oh, I think , IMHO, that Walter would count. Absolutely. He got my other vote.
Flag
The only reason he's not there is because Walter wasn't the father: it was Walternate.
Flag
So its a biology thing? Fair enough, I guess. But then again Irisa is Nolan's surrogate/adopted daughter. There are many kinds of fathers and children on tv.

Anyway, Walter/Peter's relationship really is the emotional heart of Fringe, that father-son relationship is the one that resonated with me most (:
Flag
It more of a nurturing thing, Walter couldn't be there for Peter - the way Nolan was for Irisa or Noah for Claire Bennet - because he was nstitutionalized.

They loved each other dearly, but Peter was more fiercely protective of Walter than the other way around.
Flag
What about Peter as most protective over Etta?
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members