The ultimate season finale!
This turned out to be an epic moment of television! A Stranger Things meets E.T. inside the head of Philip K. Dick. Imagine an all-American Apple-Pie setting, getting an encounter of the third degree.

Not much bad can be said about this one. I really liked it.
You?
6 Comments
Comments (6)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 09, 2018
Personally I think it departed too much from the source material, which convinces me that they used the name Philip Dick mainly as a cash grabber. By watching this series you won't know the ideas and values of PKD, but those of the lesser contemporary TV screen writers. In the end of the day, you can't trust anything they show as representative of PKD's work, and you'll have to compare the episodes with the stories and select which is what. A good example is what they did with Impossible Planet and all the extraneous elements introduced that give the episode an entirely different connotation.

I'd be OK with things like that if they hadn't given so much emphasis on the writer's name to promote this show.

Anyway, my favorite installments were Human is, The Hood Maker on a higher level, and Real Life and The Hood Maker coming next. Impossible Planet, on the other hand, became a far cry from the original story, and Crazy Diamond is simply unrecognizable.
Flag
Feb 11, 2018
By the way, I just watched the last two episodes I hadn't. Autofac is my new favorite. And I thought Safe and Sound was excellent. But when I compared it to what the idea of the original story meant, it sort of fell apart. I think the cook wanted to try a new sauce there but spoiled the broth.
Flag
Jan 29, 2018
It was okay. Invasion of the Body Snatchers paranoia is pretty old-hat by now. Other than going for a Stranger Things vibe, this episode didn't bring anything new to the table. Reminded me kind of the '86 Invaders From Mars.

I wouldn't describe it as the "ultimate season finale:. Or even a season finale.
Flag
Jan 29, 2018
It made me smile and think, this is great.
Which episode would you prefer to have been the last one out then?
Flag
Jan 31, 2018
It's an anthology. i don't think anthologies typically need or have to have a season finale. Since the first episode is usually the pilot and set up the premise, I suppose the first season first episode has to be a bit catchy/flashy/whatever.

So "The Hood Maker" is probably a better season opener than "Impossible Planet". I wouldn't have premiered with "The Commuter". It's a great episode, my personal favorite, but it's not representative of the series or that "flashy" an episode. "Hood Maker" gives us a new setting, a pretty large canvas, some violence, a romance, and the basic Philip K. Dick "heme" behind many of his stories and the show's writing. "Real Life" is another one that would make a good premiere.

But if you ended the season with "Impossible Planet" or "The Commuter" or "Kill All Others", I don't think it would make a difference.

Sometimes, yeah, they write a season finale as kind of a series finale. "Black Museum" on Black Mirror strikes me as very finale-ish. But "Black Museum" isn't quite a standalone, either. But "Hated in the Nation" from the previous season? Not so much a season finale. The various Twilight Zone's season finales were never particularly "finale"-ish, either.

If nothing else, look at the difference in airing between the UK and Amazon versions. They switched the air order, and it doesn't "hurt" the series.
More +
Flag
Jan 31, 2018
Or the original Outer Limits. Or Tales from the Darkside. Or Monsters. Or most of the Tales From the Crypt. Or Night Visions. Or most anthologies I can think of, and covering a range of decades.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members