We've been noticing that polls have been getting more and more popular since we released the community feature. And is there any question why? It's such an interactive and fun way to discuss your favorite shows, episodes, and people with the TV.com community!

So let's take a moment and see how the poll feature really works, shall we? You have a few options when creating a poll, so make sure you're picking the one that's best for you and your post!

Option 1: The Opinionated Poll
Want to get users' thoughts on your ideas? Do you have a question to ask that requires some explanation or set-up? Or maybe you just want to write a post or a photo recap and add a quick poll to your post? Well, the POST option is right for you!

This type of post will allow you to write an entire post (with images, videos, etc) and then include a poll in the post. It allows you to enter text other than the poll so it's helpful when you feel like you need to explain what the poll means. Here is an example of this type of post. To embed a poll within your post, click on the poll button in the post formatting bar. It will let you set a title and add poll items.

Option 2: The Quick Poll
Want to ask a poll question that stands on it's own without further explanation? The POLL option is probably what you want!

This type of post will allow you to ask a question (which will become the title of the post) and then add in poll items. It does not allow you to explain your poll. Titles should be short, clear, and to the point so that your poll is easy to read and understand. Here is an example of this type of post.

Option 3: The Comment Poll
Don't feel like your poll deserves it's own post or think it works better as a comment on another post? We'll probably vote you make it it's own post anyway (we want everyone to see your poll!) but the comment poll is still an option if you really want to use it.

To embed a poll within your comment, click on the poll button in your comment formatting bar.

So Now What?
Well, now that you know which type of poll you'd like to use, remember that you have some control over the settings of the poll. You can customize it to get the best results!

Whenever you are creating a poll, whether as it's own post or in a comment, you can click on the SETTINGS option to see some fields that will let you change the way your poll works.

All of these are checked by default but let's go over your options if you decide to change any of these settings:
  • Show vote totals before vote occurs: unchecking this will hide the results of the poll until a user votes. If you leave this checked, users can see which item is winning regardless of if they have voted or not.
  • Exclusive voting: unchecking this will allow users to vote for multiple items within your poll. If you leave this checked, users can only pick one option.
  • Multiple votes: unchecking this will allow users to only vote once as long as they are logged in. If you leave this checked, users can vote as many times as they would like.
  • Sort options by most votes: unchecking this will keep your poll order, regardless of which item is winning. If you leave this checked, the item with the most votes will rise to the top.
So there you have it! Questions, concerns? Let us know in the comments! Otherwise, play around and we think you'll like adding polls to your posts!

Want to learn more tricks and tips for using the TV.com communities? Check out the other posts in our Tricks & Tips series:
39 Comments
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Is it possible to close a poll? I didn't think so, but I noticed comments suggesting that others thought it was.
Flag
Staff
It depends on the poll. If it's one you created in the communities, no. If it's a special staff created one, we can close them but it's rare that we create those. Those are mostly used for editorial purposed. So I'm going to guess no, but if you show me which poll I can give you a definite answer.

If you can't close it but it's your poll and you want to, you can always edit your post to declare the poll closed and declare a winner. It won't stop users from voting, but you won't have to man it anymore.
Flag
When you uncheck 'show vote totals before vote occurs', is there a possibility for the writer of the post/poll to see how the voting is going?
Flag
Staff
Once you've voted you should be able to see the results. But if you don't vote then no, you won't be able to see even if you're the author. But I always vote for my own polls!
Flag
Of course, I also vote, but I also like to see how it develops without having to vote again :-). I understand why you can't change the poll anymore, but please see this as request to be able to see the results as the writer without voting again.
Flag
Staff
Great suggestion!
Flag
How do I edit an existing poll? I tried in IE, Firefox and Chrome but it just said "poll" and I could not edit anything.

Flag
Staff
You cannot edit the entries in polls once you have saved them.
Flag
Thinking about it now I can understand why. I am of a generation that did not have these internet possibilities in their younger days and I believe in a fair world, but I understand that the world has changed. I sometimes just have to be reminded of it.
Flag
Poll

Flag
Not on polls, but since you do employ programmers who aren't from the Akbar School Of Moronisty, how about putting in an edit feature on posting?
Flag
Staff
You can edit your posts! If you go into the post look for the edit button. Looks like this:

As for comments, you cannot edit those. Check your spelling before you post and if you really don't like it you can always delete and repost!
Flag
What is the maximum number of answers we can put in for any poll? I had written up a post with a poll at the end (it was about guest stars on a particular tv show). After typing about 15 or so 'answers' I couldn't scroll down anymore - the bottom of the page kinda disappeared, and I couldn't even see the Publish/Cancel buttons. Had to close the window. :( Not sure if its a browser issue, but I'm using Chrome.
Flag
Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys! And to Pat for helping to put up the poll :) Firefox doesn't work very well with my computer (pages tend to hang while loading) so I'm stuck with IE & Chrome for now.
Flag
All the same it's the ctrl+ and ctrl- for both Chrome and IE. But you already know that, I guess.

And that's no irrelevant list you've put up!

I'll head over and vote.
Flag
Using firefox pressing "Ctrl" and "-" works but if you have a veryyy long list, be prepared to read some veryyy tiny fonts as well. Not sure if there's a better way to do it.
Flag
Staff
Sometimes that happens to me, too. I find that I have to extend my window as large as it can get (though I have a pretty giant monitor so that helps). Definitely send a screenshot to Pat (commented earlier) so he can take a look.
Flag
I use Firefox and the ctrl- command to view longer lists.
Flag
Could you take a screenshot and send it to me via PM? I'd love to take a look. The max number of answers should be much higher - 100 in total!
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members