Update on 3/12 1:30pm: These changes are now live. If you notice missing episodes, duplicate episodes, or incorrect metadata please PM staff or comment on our Episode Guide Fix Requests post.

Hello,

We know that a lot of users rely on our episode guides to keep up to date on what episodes of their favorite shows are coming up next, or which episodes they may have missed. To date, we have mostly relied on users’ help to add new episodes and keep our episode guides accurate.

We are moving to a new system that will improve our coverage on the episode guides. We will be able to have future episodes up earlier on, and our metadata for the episodes will be very accurate and timely. In moving to the new system, we will have to make some compromises in the way we’ve always done things.

The following changes will launch on March 11th, or shortly thereafter.

As of that date, users will no longer be able to:
  • Add new episodes
  • Delete episodes
  • Edit an episode title
  • Edit which season an episode is in
  • Edit an episode number
  • Edit an episode’s first aired date.
  • Re-order episodes (Editor feature)
If you find incorrect information on TV.com, you can reach out to staff to alert us of the issues and we we will work to improve on it.

Users will still be able to:
  • Add recaps
  • Edit/add summaries
  • Edit/add lifetime episode numbers
  • Edit episode types
  • Edit/add episode production codes
  • Edit/add allusions
  • Edit/add trivia
  • Edit/add quotes
  • Edit/add notes
  • Edit/add cast and crew
We recognize that we are taking away a few ways for users to gain points toward editorships. Due to that, we are going to lower some editorship thresholds to ensure that users can still earn enough points to become an Editor.

TV shows: Lower from 80 to 70.
Web shows: Lower from 50 to 40.
People: Maintain at 40.
Movies: Maintain at 20.

We want to thank you for all the hard work you have done submitting and moderating submissions for the shows, movies, people, and episodes on TV.com. We realize that this is a change from the TV.com you have all come to know and love. Please feel free to reach out to us via PM anytime if you would like to discuss your questions and concerns.
414 Comments
Comments (415)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I would Love to see Season 4, Episode 8 of the Midnite Special. It was the 1 st time I saw KC (WOW) and the Sunshine Band 40 yrs ago. I still Love them and go to concerts. I can bring the info up and click on the TV icon , but on the next page it doesn't play. I would love to buy this episode ? Thank U, Palmlady

Flag
Staff
Hello! Here at TV.com, we do not host videos. Instead, we index what networks and content providers have put up online. They control what videos are or are not available. We just index what is available. Thanks!
Flag
The Broadcast Date of "MATCH GAME '74 (1974)" is for the weekday of Tuesday December 5, 1974 on CBS-TV. The Star of "MATCH GAME '74 (1974)" is GENE RAYBURN, The Announcer is JOHNNY OLSON & The 6 Stars are JACK CARTER, BRETT SOMERS, ORSON BEAN, LOUISA MORITZ, RICHARD DAWSON & BETTY WHITE.
Flag
Staff
Hello. Can you give me some additional details about your issue? Does one of the episodes have the wrong date, title, etc? I'm a little unclear what you are reporting here. Please also include your source material link. Thanks!
Flag
There should be a correction to the episode title "Whale Of An Adventure" for the TV Series Rescue Heroes (see http://www.tv.com/shows/rescue-heroes/tidal-wave-of-pride-whale-of-an-adventure-152840/). The title should say "A Whale Of An Adventure". That is the title when it airs on TV Stations and VHS.

There should also be a correction to the episode title "Wrath of El Niño" (see http://www.tv.com/shows/rescue-heroes/wrath-of-el-nio-152819/). When it airs on TV, it says "El Niño", there is no "Wrath Of". I also have this episode on DVD, and it just says "El Niño" as the title.

Please fix these two errors.

Thank you.
Flag
Staff
Hello,
In the future, please request changes like this here. This post is about the announcement, not for fix requests.

I went ahead and fixed these two episode titles. You should see the changes within a few hours.

Thanks!
Flag
I need you to make some corrections to the quote section of the Femme Fatales episode "Til Death Do Us Part". This is the link I am talking about: http://www.tv.com/shows/femme-fatales/til-death-do-us-part-2248126/trivia/

The quotes should be read like this:

Lilith: (in a one-piece swimsuit and pareo) Aloha! I see you've met Rachel Worth. Poor thing. Can you believe it's her wedding day? Certainly not a very auspicious start. A bride needs something borrowed, something blue, but certainly not something dead. I guess the silver lining in all of this is the corpse is not the man she's planning to marry. But with her ceremony on a private beach near Waikiki looming in six hours, she best fix this little hiccup that's threatening her big day. Otherwise, there could very be a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Till death do us part". (takes off her pareo, dives into a pool and swims)

Lilith: (still in her one-piece swimsuit and refreshed from swimming) It's been said it's bad luck for a bride and groom to see each other before the wedding. Although, after the day they've had, I don't blame Rachel or Cam for throwing caution to the wind. As for lessons learned, it's an age-old question for women: Do you marry for love or for money? (chuckles) Luckily, though, for Rachel Worth, today she doesn't have to choose. Mahalo.

Please let me know what you think about making corrections to the two quotes. This is very important.
More+
Flag
Staff
Hello,

This is off topic. If you need further help, please PM me at jessicakroeber.

Users are able to edit quotes. If you hover over the quote when logged in, you should see an option to EDIT it pop up.

Thanks!
Flag
LAME!!!!
Flag
Does anyone know about counting cars had an epidsode about 3 weeks ago and Danny ran down a guy who had a old car with a HUGE blower on it. Ryan was driving the truck while Danny was in the car and he said it just lost him. does any one know the episode that was?
Flag
Staff
Hello! You may have more luck posting your question on the General TV Discussion community. Users won't see this comment unless they happen upon this post. Good luck in your search!
Flag
How am I supposed to add a new episode?
Flag
Staff
Users cannot add new episodes. If you spot an episode missing, you can PM me at jessicakroeber or comment here. Staff will work to get them in. Thanks!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Staff
Hello. This is not the right place to report errors. Please PM staff or comment here: http://www.tv.com/topics/feedback/community/post/episode-guide-fix-requests-1394657506/
Flag
HOW DO I SEE ED SULLIVAN EPISODES 1963
Flag
Staff
Hello, this is off topic. If you have any questions about how to watch episodes, please PM me or email support@tv.com for help. Thanks!
Flag
Dangers of hooking up aired January of 2008. Where can I find this episode as I was a guest on the show?????
Flag
Staff
Hello,

This comment is off topic for this post. In the future, if you would like to ask a question you can PM me at jessicakroeber or email support@tv.com for help.

It looks like we do not have Dangers of Hooking Up on TV.com at this time, so we are unable to give any information about it. We always recommend contacting the network or content providers for the show to see if they can help you find a copy of your episode.

Thanks!
Flag
Just wondering, are users ever going to be able to add new episodes/change air dates/etc. again in the future?
Flag
Staff
I won't say "never" definitively, as you never know what will happen in the future. However, this is not something we currently have on our queue. We are instead constantly working on improving the new, current system.
Flag
Hello, I"m the Editor for The Soup. I noticed there is a duplicate episode for Episode 48, "Eric Andre." Can you delete the second duplicate episode? Also, the latest episode, "Alison Janney," did not feature Alison Janey. E!'s website has it described as The Soup 12/3
http://www.eonline.com/now/the-soup/full-episode/the-soup-123/367507011651
Flag
Staff
Hello,

In the future, please submit any of these requests by PMing staff or commenting on this post here. This is not the right place for a request like this.

I went ahead and fixed these issues. You should see the fixes soon.

Thanks!
Flag
Flag
Staff
As it states in bold at the top of this article, please report any issues via PM to me or by commenting on this post here.

I added the Season 2 title and deleted those two dupe episodes. Please include your source material for the episode number changes. Please do so via PM or on the other community article I linked to above. This is not the right place for this thread. Thanks!
Flag
This would be great, except none of my shows episodes are being updated!
Flag
Staff
Definitely let us know with specifics which shows are not updating, which episodes are missing, etc. We can work on these but we definitely need to know what shows to work on! You can PM me or add a comment here.
Flag
Since the thread appears to be mostly dead, my recent contributions notwithstanding :) , would it be possible to have the link on the episode pages go to the Episode Guide Fix Requests thread?

Then have a link on that page go to this page? Instead of vice versa?

That page seems to have the minimal info to explain what's going on, and then they can take the link to this page if someone needs more info.

Typically I find the Fix Request thread by going to the episode page and following the link. But that takes me here, and then I have to take another link to get to where I need to request fixes.

Thanks for your consideration.
Flag
Staff
Thanks for your suggestion. We like to link to this post so that users can understand why the changes happened so we are going to continue to link to this post for now. May I suggest bookmarking the Fix post to make it easier for you to find it? Thanks!
Flag
*shrug* I'm on multiple computers, some of which I don't have Bookmarking rights for (i.e., public computers). So that doesn't really do it :(
Flag
Staff
Darn. In the future we'll definitely consider how to make this post more accessible. You can also PM me for fixe if that's easier than commenting.
Flag
While I hate to raise an old issue, recently the timeliness of updating seems to be getting worse.

I understand a show not hitting the two-week mark. Or the one-week mark. Or even not getting up until the day the show airs.

But... we've got one British show that is now going -2 weeks to get a new episode added since it aired.

Another show is now going on -1 weeks to get a new episode added.

Now, I'm not asking that we go back to editors having some degree of control, although clearly it would avoid these issues. However, from what I understood Jessica to say recently, apparently now staff can't add episodes, either. It all has to go through the mysterious 1+ weeks behind source, TV Guide, perhaps? They're behind on the shows I'm referencing as well, but Zap2it isn't.

Anyhoo, all I'm asking is that staff have the power to add episodes. It may be easier from a programming standpoint to deprive them of that power and make the coding simpler, but clearly the source in question, whoever it is, isn't all that it's cracked up to be in some cases.

Yes, I know, staff is doing their best, the source is doing their best, we'll get it done as soon as we can get it done, yada yada. The usual boilerplate. But if tv.com isn't up to date... what's the point?
More+
Flag
Staff
There are some troublesome shows that we have to work with our source for a while to get added. We always do our best to get things up as quickly as we can. If there are shows that are behind that you haven't alerted us to yet, definitely let us know and we'll work on them.
Flag
For the show that was almost two weeks behind, it looks like someone got the new episodes up--two that had already aired, and one upcoming one--in the last 24 hours. And the other show that was almost one week behind.

Which is great, and I never doubted that staff would get it up eventually. But I'm still concerned that it took a month for an episode that aired on 7/29, that staff knew about two weeks in advance, took almost a month to get up.

And the show that was one week behind, still doesn't have episodes for the next week (i.e., on 8/11), much less the two weeks staff said would be typical.
Flag
And yes, I find it frustrating. And yes, I understand that staff understands my frustrating.

And I understand staff's frustration. And I understand staff's frustration with my frustration. And no doubt they understand my frustration with their frustration at my frustration. :)

Now that we understand everybody's frustration, maybe we could get a solution...?
Flag
The episodes of Ocean Mysteries, http://www.tv.com/shows/ocean-mysteries/be-careful-what-you-fish-for-2823568/ airdate is april 20th 2013, not april 13, 2013 and http://www.tv.com/shows/ocean-mysteries/penguins-down-under-2823569/ airdate april 27, 2013 not april 20th, 2013. http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/ocean-mysteries-with-jeff-corwin/episodes-season-2/348451.
Flag
Staff
Fixed! You should see those changes on the site soon. Thanks!
Flag
Staff
Also, any issues need to be reported here. This is not the right post to use.
Flag
Delete http://www.tv.com/shows/aladdin/aladdin-83698/, http://www.tv.com/shows/aladdin/the-return-of-jafar-83699/ and http://www.tv.com/shows/aladdin/aladdin-and-the-king-of-thieves-83700/. Because they're 65 episodes of aladdin in season one not 67. http://www.tvtango.com/series/aladdin/episodes
Flag
fix release date http://www.tv.com/shows/aladdin/poor-iago-51048/ it's 10/26/1994 not 10/20/1994, on Episode Number (Season) change from 35 to 38. http://www.tvtango.com/series/aladdin/episodes.
Flag
Staff
Fixed! You'll see it appear in a few hours.
Flag
Flag
Staff
This is not the right place to ask for episode guide changes. Please PM me or comment here. Please send me your source material for any changes you need made. Thanks!
Flag
I have shows that didn't air on the same day of the week. One season it's on Monday and the next season it's on Wednesday. I've also been working on one that aired Tue/Thu for a few years, then Mon/Tue/Thu the next.. Many also have different airtimes over the seasons. Can changing day of the week and airtimes for each episode be made an option to us? A blanket day of the week for the entire run doesn't work toward making this site accurate.
Flag
Staff
That's definitely a great idea for a new feature. Thanks for the suggestion! We will definitely take that idea into consideration!
Flag
Can we add episode air dates that are missing? If so, what do we do for a show that was in first-run syndication, airing on different nights in different markets, and can't find the exact air date?
Flag
Staff
Staff has to add episode airdates for you. However, if you give us the information we can do that. We always aim to have the original airdate if the show originally aired in the US. However, if those aren't available we can use the syndication dates so that we have something, but as you pointed out that comes with many issues as to which syndication dates to use. There's no good answer there that works across the board so if you'd like to discuss further please PM me and we can set up a plan of attack for your show.
Flag
Thanks for adding new episodes of General Hospital means a lot. The show started it's 52 season on April 1st first so where it says season "2014" it should be 52.
Flag
Staff
Again, please report issues like this via PM or here. This is not the right thread to report issues. In order to get General Hospital updating, we did have to get episodes in a date based way. So this show will be date based from now on.
Flag
Okay
Flag
Staff
Removed, as well as a few other dupes I spotted in that season. You should see it disappear soon. Let me know if you find any more. Thanks!
Flag
So out of curiosity, what happens if someone doesn't report missing episodes?

There must be hundreds of shows in the U.S. alone that aren't "major" shows and could be overlooked, and either don't have enough fans here to notice, or the fans that are here aren't aware of how to go about reporting the missing new episodes. Yes, no one was probably submitting them before, but if staff was doing it manually, who is checking now to see that it's done automatically?

Judging from the recent spate of reports, some major shows aren't getting new episodes, for shows that the auto-source was originally updating. That suggests that the minor ones are also getting dropped..
Flag
Staff
We will continue to improve our coverage of shows over time!
Flag
Having read about these changes it makes me wonder why users don't simply go add to Wikipedia or the TVDB - way less effort

Flag
The new system (supposedly) does it automatically. That would require less effort than users doing it, not more.
Flag
tv shows are now missing episdoes since this change to "automated episode additions". The Daily Show with Jon Stewart & Colbert Report are missing many episodes (like 2 weeks old) and Days of Our Lives hasn't had an episode added since 3/11/14. This new changes was supposed to add things automatically and quickly but does not seem to be working. I've been having to use other sites like Tvrage to get information.
Flag
Staff
Days of Our Lives and Colbert Report are updating now! Thanks
Flag
Staff
Hello! Definitely report any shows that are not updating by PMing staff or commenting here. These shows that you mentioned are on our list and we're working on updating them. Thank you for your patience while we work on them. Thanks!
Flag
Flag
Staff
Hello @dancelano, can you give me some more details about the issues you're seeing? Are there dupe episodes? Do we have a video in the wrong place? Is there something wrong with a special that's on the guide? Let us know, with specific details, how we can help with any issues. Also, this is not the right thread to report issues on. Please PM staff or comment here from now on. Thanks!
Flag
Flag
Staff
Please comment on this post to report issues like this:
http://www.tv.com/topics/feedback/community/post/episode-guide-fix-requests-1394657506/

This is not the right place to report issues. Thanks!
Flag
Flag
Staff
In the future you can email support at support@tv.com or post a new post in our User Support community. We do try to keep comments on topic. We are aware of this issue and are looking into it now. The PMs are working okay for me now - try to clear your cache and see if that helps. We're still working on it but that might be a temporary fix. Thanks!
Flag
I'm the editor of General Hospital and new episodes haven't been posted yet.
Flag
Staff
Please PM staff or comment on this post here to report issues like this.
Flag
Staff
Forgot to add - I'll look into this now.
Flag
Thanks so very much
Flag
Staff
New episodes should be coming in now. Let us know if any are still missing.
Flag
Also, it looks like the system adds new episodes on weekends. Another thing that, although assumed, is good to know.
Flag

There has been some anger over me editing Natalia Makarova. I was told I've been "retired" from doing it.

Why?

Flag
Staff
This is off-topic. Please check your PMs, as I did reach out to you about this I will PM you privately again.
Flag
Wrong thread. You'd have better luck either PMing staff member @Jessicakroeber directly, or posting in the User Support community. Even if you do the latter, most likely she'll want you to PM her privately since she won't want to discuss publicly what the problem was.

Did you receive a warning from staff? For most things, they'll let you know first and give you a chance to address the problem. Looking at the page, there is some odd quote structuring. But there's no way to tell who did that. So I'd PM jessicakroeber directly and ask her: that's your best chance of getting a response.
Flag
It looks like the system brought in the 4/4/14 episode of Grimm, fine. In fact, a day early by my reckoning. Isn't today 15 days before 4/4?
Flag
Staff
That's two weeks from today so that's as expected. Glad it came in just fine!
Flag
Actually, it wouldn't be two weeks until tonight at 9/8 central. That's why I wondered which way the system was going to split the difference. :) The day the show is on, or the day after the show is on.

It makes a difference for knowing when to check, and for adding in the summaries and crew ASAP. If Grimm had been updating on Saturdays, I would have known not to bother checking on Fridays.
Flag
Staff
It's not that specific. We unfortunately cannot give exact times as to what is two weeks away. Generally speaking, we're considering it two weeks to the day, not the hour.
Flag
Good enough for me, to know when it will (typically) go up.
Flag
Flag
We were mentioning the longstanding problem of cast and crew photos in the add/edit process are randomly appearing. One other thing about the add/edit process that was never updated is the inability to see the first line or so of the person's biography. That disappeared some time ago and we've had no change or update.

It's quite time consuming when you are adding a name with as many 10 namesakes as you have to check them all to figure out which one is yours.
Flag
Staff
The cast photos isis a known issue and it's still on our list. Right now we do not have plans to bring back the first line of the bio into the cast/crew tools.
Flag
Is there some programming logic to how it brings up multiple names?

It'd be nice if the first name it listed was someone who had been associated with the show previously, for instance. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Otherwise trying to determine which Tom Smith you're adding this week can become a major chore if they're not a regular (i.e., importable).
Flag
Staff
Great suggestion! Thanks. We'll definitely take that idea into consideration when we're working on improving the cast & crew tools.
Flag
If this isn't going to be fixed imminently, it may be worth considering whether to remove the pictures completely from the search until it is. It adds nothing and could cause confusion.
Flag
Great idea!
Flag
Staff
Thanks for your suggestion! We're working on it.
Flag
I'm getting a blank page every other time I try to submit something and that missing 'add episode' button is like missing a limb.
Flag
Staff
We're working on that blank page issue. Refreshing the page should help. But we hope to have a permanent fix soon!
Flag
Refreshing the page solves the problem for me.
Flag
Staff
Glad to hear it. This issue has now been resolved so let me know if you're still seeing it.
Flag
So has anybody seen any successful new episode adds yet? I just wondered what they look like. Do they have summaries? Lifetime numbers blank, or 0s?

All my current shows, either they were far enough ahead that new ones haven't come up, or they haven't hit the two-week mark yet.
Flag
Staff
We did add a lot of new episodes with the change. Not all of them will have summaries. It depends on the show/episode. Here's an example of an episode that we have added.
Flag
So it adds a lifetime # of 0, rather than leaving it blank.
Flag
Too bad the show editor couldn't fix this minor issue.......
Flag
Staff
You don't have to change this, but can if you would like. The lifetime episode numbers are still editable so show editors can change them if they want.
Flag
It's not clear if there is anything to fix...
Flag
Staff
Looks like it. We'll see if we can improve how that works.
Flag
The problem is, all we hear about in the other thread are the messed-up ones.
Flag
The problem with this system is that it has no way of truly tracking new episodes when series change names or move to a different network. Heck, i've seen duplicate episodes occur because of this new system more often than when an editor had control over it. On the old system we editors could make sure that problem was resolved. Now we can't. This is a mistake that will drive more people away from TV.com than the TV Tome change over did.
Flag
Staff
You can still PM staff or comment here whenever you see these issues arrive and staff can still help to fix! That hasn't changed.
Flag
That may be true, but you don't understand the number of times I have had to correct guides on the shows I edit because TV.com has made the mistakes. Until I took over adding the episodes to my guides, I had to correct mistakes from TV.com itself at least 3 times a week. By not utilizing the editors the way they are SUPPOSED to be used, you are only making it where you will make that many more mistakes.
Flag
Staff
We believe that our source is the most accurate it can be at this time. In cases where it's not right, we are working to improve. Definitely let us know if you find any errors and we'll work to fix!
Flag
Has anybody else noticed that Notes and Quotes submissions are acting oddly?

Sometimes when I add or edit a Note, there will be no box for the content. Although there's a box for comments. For Quotes, sometimes I'll just get a single box, instead of the speaker/quote series of three boxes. it doesn't happen more than maybe one time in ten, but I'm pretty sure it's happening. It's hard to imagine no Note box at all! :)

I'll do a screen capture if it happens again, but wondering if anyone else is seeing it. At least, in Firefox, which is what I'm using.
Flag
Staff
This is unrelated to this topic but I will look into it regardless.
Flag
It's still doing this on occasion... :(
Flag
And another one. :(

Flag
Here's what I mean. I edit a Note. Click on Edit normally. Get this. No actual submission field.

So I cancel out of that window, do the same thing, get the correct screen.

So something's going on, and it's only started since the system update.
Flag
Yeah, I'm getting this regularly.
Flag
I'm assuming it's related to the current switchover.
Flag
"Survivor", upcoming episodes have yet to be added.
Flag
Staff
We'll get those in. Please report issues by PMing staff or commenting here.
Flag
"Entertainment Tonight", Thursday and Friday's episodes have not been updated by Metadata yet.
Flag
Staff
We'll get these in. Please report issues like this by PMing staff or commenting on this post here.
Flag
I think the main problem with the 2 week period is for shows that disappear for more than 2 weeks in the middle of a run.
For instance, one episode of Trophy Wife was on 2nd February, the next was 2nd March.
This year, people could go to the guide and see that this was the case. Next year, they will have no idea whether it has finished or if it's coming back, when. They will have to go to another site to get this widely available information.
Flag
Staff
@Gislef made some great suggestions below! The Returning to Air Text field is a great place to put this information. Also, definitely feel free to post announcements like that in the communities.
Flag
I also imagine you could put it as news in the Community forum for the show, if it has one.

As to whether staff wants us to use the Community and the RTA to do that kind of thing, that's something @jessicakroeber would have to answer.
Flag
Wouldn't you put that in the Show Summary info? Under "Returning to Air Text"?

Also, in theory, that 2nd March episode wouldn't be in the system until there was a valid title and an airdate, since those are the two things required for any episode. When did the title for the 2nd March episode of Trophy Wife become available?
Flag
In this instance, the title was available the day prior to the 2nd Feb episode being shown.
And, no, I don't think I would use the RTA date in this situation. It's probably something that could be used for long absences over Christmas, but I'm not sure it's practical for these.

I don't particularly have an answer, but it's an issue that needs to be considered by staff. Many people come to this site when they discover that their expected show isn't on and want to know when it will be. When they discover that the listings are not as up to date and accurate as they have been previously, they might not bother to come back.
Flag
Well, the RTA is there, and could just as easily include the title. I'm not sure if that makes it "practical" or not, but the option is there.

But yes, I've noted earlier about titles and dates become available outside the two-week window. On the other hand, how many people were already coming to the site and not finding listings for their shows, for all the shows that don't have editors?
Flag
I think there's been a general decrease in the number of editors for popular and less popular shows.

Over the last 2-3 years, there's been neither competition for most new shows I've eventually become editor for, nor many contributions to those shows after I did become editor. Others' experience may of course vary. :)
Flag
Yes, but that's a different issue. I completely recognise
that there are some shows that don't have editors which aren't being kept up to date. And the number of these shows is probably increasing, so automation is a positive for visitors to these show guides. That's irrelevant to the point I made, but let's accept that.

However, what I thought I'd made clear was that I'm addressing those shows that do have editors. And it seems to me that most popular shows have editors. And it is therefore likely, (and I put it no higher than that, as I don't have visitor stats), that the most visited shows will be less up-to-date than they are at the moment.
In general, that probably doesn't matter too much, but it may make a difference to visitor's perception of the site in the particular situation I referenced, which seems to mainly happen in the first few months of the year.
Flag
Well, if you @jessicakroeber 's earlier response, the drive to go to an automated system was in part because there weren't enough new episodes being contributed. So staff seems to share your concern about how people were coming to TV.com and not finding new episode info.
Flag
I have no visitor stats for this site I'm afraid.
Flag
If an episode already in the system is rescheduled due to preemption, will the auto-entry system pick it up and change the date? Or should we immediately notify staff since the system won't change it?

In other words, does the system create a new episode and then "forgets" about it (new episode creation only)? Or does it monitor and possibly edit existing episodes that it put into the system previously (new episode creation and editing)?
Flag
Staff
You should alert staff on both accounts (air date or title changes) if we already have the episode.
Flag
Ditto for last-minute title changes. As noted elsewhere, Person of Interest has had several...
Flag
When I search for cast the name appears but a completely different picture for that person is next to the name. Its the correct person, just a little disconcerting to see the different pic. Also, occasionally when I'm searching for cast it's coming up 'no result' when I know for a fact that person is in the system. It doesn't happen all the time but it makes me wonder if I've added duplicates by mistake. :)
Flag
The wrong pic issue has been an ongoing bug for at least a couple of months. :(
Flag
I feel a bit better knowing it's not just on my end. :)
Flag
There was some maintenance done on 25th October last year, and this started immediately afterwards.
Flag
It's not. :(

Some of the images are pretty goofy. I've seen Beavis and Butthead attach to at least one actor, for instance, and the animated Beatles from the 60s cartoon on another.
Flag
This is already a pain.
Flag
Staff
If you haven't already (checking PMs is next on my to do list this morning) definitely PM staff or comment here so we an fix any issues you're having!
Flag
I'm the editor for quite a few shows on this site and have been for many years. How come we're unable to add any new episodes. I think it should be brought back.
Flag
Staff
As I explained above , we have implemented the new system to improve our coverage and metadata accuracy on episode guides. We have seen contribution rates go down and needed to figure out a more permanent solution to keeping our guides updated. We will not be reverting back to the old system. If you see any issues, PM staff or comment here.
Flag
Okay, then how will new episodes of the shows I edit get contributed to tv.com?
Flag
Staff
We have switched to a new system and episodes will be added automatically from now on.
Flag
It's going to take some getting used to that's all. I can't see it being easy on staff. I've just added Classic Top Gear episodes over the past week, all 500+. What a pain that would've been for you guys.
What about televised sporting events that don't have seasons, they just go and on, not following a particular schedule. Will these be added or is this something else to get in touch with staff about.
Also, what about more obscure shows... same thing? I've never liked PMing staff, I always feel like I'm bugging someone. :)
I had no idea that contributions had decreased. I know a lot of people left after some earlier changes like scrapping blogs for example, I chat with nobody on the site now, which I miss. I just assumed new users would fill the gaps.
Flag
Staff
Sports is not something we're going to be handling right away. But we will work to get that on our coverage list as soon as we can. For more obscure shows, definitely PM staff or comment over here if they aren't updating automatically. We're happy to help get them on the list!
Flag
Thanks for the quick reply. :)
Flag
Staff
Oh, and don't ever feel like you're bugging us! That's what we're here for: to help! :)
Flag
The site is very very slow. Just adding cast takes over 15 seconds per entry, site is jumpy when it barely kicks in. Molasses flows quicker. :)
Flag
Staff
@AprilFox - I'm not seeing any issues right now. Are you still having problems? What browser/browser version are you on?
Flag
Moving a little better. Not as quick as yesterday. Firefox.
Flag
I'm using Firefox, no issues with me on my work or personal computers.
Flag
Staff
Thanks for the information!
Flag
Staff
Thanks, I'll have someone take a look.
Flag
Of all the changes TV.com staff has imposed on this site, this has to be the dumbest one ever. What is the point of this site anymore? Editors are now just trophies on the shelf. I'm collecting dust already. I get that TV.com wants to be more up to date, but that is the point of getting rid of MIA editors. I'm a big fan of everything you have done for me Jessica, you've been a major help, but staff has proven they don't know what is best a lot of the time. I've requested episodes from a TV show to be deleted multiple times because they are part of another show. Over a year later, episodes are still there. Staff adds separate seasons of shows as new guides even when the main guide already has them. It's ridiculous. Can I get a parachute so I can jump from the burning plane? All this will accomplish is driving people away. And what about weekends? Things will just clog up. There is not a faceplam big enough for this.
Flag
Staff
We have had long queues in the past and I apologize for any problems we weren't able to fix yet. Please PM staff or comment here so we can get to them now. This is a brand new system and ultimately we do believe this will improve our guides overall.
Flag
I want Tv.com to be as up to date as possible as well, but removing these basic features isn't the way to do it. Shows that have been running for long periods of time are going to a pain to fix if there is a small problem. At least make editor allowed to still do these. THere is no legitmate reaason an editor can't edit a title on their own show.
Flag
^And another.....requested a name change for my show to its correct title last August....7 months later and it hasn't been done.
Flag
Staff
Please remind me what the show is and what you think it should be called. I'll look into it! Thanks!
Flag
The guide is currently called The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra. It should be called The Legend of Korra.
Flag
Staff
I changed the name. You should see it soon. Thanks!
Flag
Following up on an earlier question I asked:

We can't edit summaries and recaps for unaired episodes. It says "Field Required" but it doesn't indicate what field is required. Presumably it's the airdate... but now we can't add an airdate even if we wanted to.

So how do we edit and add summaries and recaps for unaired episodes? I'd rather not have staff get the points for adding a recap I write, for instance. ;)
Flag
Staff
We also require airdates to edit episodes so staff will be unable to help you if there's no airdate at all.. The best solution is to put in a dummy airdate (which staff can help you do) so that you can edit the summary/recap. We do not have a better solution at this time for episodes without air dates. It's something we do need to work on. You will have to send me details on which episodes so I can help, but keep in mind that if we do it that way those episodes will have fake airdates listed.
Flag
It becomes even more complicated if you're submitting or trying to fix a summary or recap for an unaired episode that someone else edits. Is staff going to let that editor know that they're (temporarily?) putting in a dummy airdate?
Flag
Staff
There's no temporary here. If we go this route and add a dummy airdate in, I cannot remove that airdate.
Flag
Staff
@Gislef - we will not be notifying any editors. Again, we don't have a good way to handle unaired episodes at this time. I'm trying to find a happy compromise based on how our tools currently work.
Flag
I was saying "temporary" optimistically (and somewhat hesitantly, you'll notice :) ), because you said "It's something we need to work on."

If you say it's something you're going to work on, I figure it's "temporary."
Flag
Right, but will you notify the third-party editor? Or will it just be a surprise for them when they go to approve my sub and discover that there's a dummy date there for an unaired episode? :)
Flag
Can't you then remove the fake airdate afterward?

But it seems like just turning off the limiter would be best. Why would anyone want an unaired episode to not have editable summaries and recaps? :)
Flag
@dhaworth: That's probably just as complicated as turning off the limiter. Probably more so since Development would have to add something. Seems like turning off the limiter would be a simple removal of code. Not that anything seems to be simple when recoding TV.com submission codes... :(

The fact that some programmer, years ago, went to the extra effort to deliberately put in more code so that people couldn't edit/add summaries and recaps to unaired episodes, is proof of some of the oddities of the original code. You kind of wonder what they were thinking... ;)
Flag
Staff
No, I cannot remove airdates. I also have the limitation. Thanks for your suggestions and we'll be sure to think about this issue as related to unaired episodes as we continue to improve in the future.
Flag
Staff
@dhaworth - Great suggestion! We'll keep that in mind as we think about improving this.
Flag
Flag
How about a flag which just doesn't display the airdate? That way there's a date to be used for the person listings and the fake date won't be misleading.
Flag
Jessica, in one of the replies here you seemed to imply that an episode synopsis could be brought over when the episode is added. But after reading it a few times, I'm not sure, so can you confirm whether episode descriptions will ever be added automatically?
If not, fine. If so, does this mean that the ban on copy/pasting summaries from elsewhere has been removed?
Flag
Staff
Many episodes added will be with summaries from our source. User added summaries must still be original. So if you'd like to re-write what comes in automatically to make it in your own words, you can. But points should only be given for original summaries.
Flag
OK, it's good to have that clarification, thanks.
Flag
That's probably going to make it really easy to identify your source... :)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Topic
Members