Every so often a web series comes along that is so popular and well made that TV network execs sit up and notice. Although the web may offer more flexibility, there are obvious advantages to having your show air on televisions cross the nation. & way to go to those web shows that are successful enough to make the leap to TV! So let's take a moment to celebrate some of our web-to-television success stories!

Web Therapy

Originally a web show on L Studio, this one had all the makings to be a giant success. Interesting premise, innovative structure, and a mega star! Does Lisa Kudrow count as a mega star? Probably not but c'mon, everyone at least knows who she is and remembers Smelly Cat pretty fondly. When this one made the jump to Showtime, no one was surprised.

Childrens Hospital

Before it was on Adult Swim, this comedy starring Rob Corddry was a very well-received web series. Why was this one so successful? Well, this show featured tons of impressive cameos, hilarious jokes, and it really just oozed fun. It's definitely right up Adult Swim's alley. It's definitely too bizarre for many other networks.

Burning Love

This dating show spoof originated on, if you'll believe it, Yahoo! It was a quick favorite in the TV.com offices so we weren't surprised at all when it appeared on E! soon after. The Bachelor and The Bachelorette were just begging for a spoof like Burning Love!

Annoying Orange

Everyone's favorite orange (I can't believe I just wrote that...) originated on YouTube before Cartoon Network turned it into The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange for their network. I'm still just, well, not sure why. The "annoying" in the title isn't a misnomer.

Broad City

Comedy Central picked up this web series from Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson to start airing this year. Having Amy Poehler attached as an executive producer probably helped some but let's face it, they were doing something right online to even get her to agree to sign on.

Sanctuary

This Syfy network show actually started as a web series in 2007. Although the show is no longer on, it aired for four seasons on Syfy, which is a pretty damn long time. We consider this one a win for web series makers everywhere!

Poll

What web series turned TV shows are you a fan of?! Tell us more about your picks in the comments.
8 Comments
Follow this Topic
Members