Forums: TV.com General User Support: Can we submit pictures for people or shows?

sweetchic7

[1]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 28
    Can we submit pictures for people or shows? I was just wondering. Sorry if this has been asked. But I didn't see it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ross_99

[2]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 59
    No only the staff can submit picture for actors and shows.

cdrak0715

[3]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 24
    It's a copyright issue. They have to have permission to use the photos.

animewolf

[4]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 8
    well that sucks...since half the time there aren't even pics for the shows I like....and I have like a thousand pics that could work

animewolf

[5]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 8
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 03/09/2006 4:37pm

NeitherSparky

[6]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 30
    This is just my opinion...if they can't for whatever reason let people submit pics then maybe they should have a place to submit links to other sites that may have pics on them - I know this has been argued before. But it would be nice if they offered visitors looking for visual content some alternative, if this site doesn't have what they're looking for. Anyone know if at least an editor creating a pinned topic just for links would be okay? I keep hearing that it's okay to share a link for another site once - would putting it in a pinned thread be "once"?

sesho2022

[7]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 47
    NeitherSparky wrote:
    This is just my opinion...if they can't for whatever reason let people submit pics then maybe they should have a place to submit links to other sites that may have pics on them - I know this has been argued before. But it would be nice if they offered visitors looking for visual content some alternative, if this site doesn't have what they're looking for. Anyone know if at least an editor creating a pinned topic just for links would be okay? I keep hearing that it's okay to share a link for another site once - would putting it in a pinned thread be "once"?

I thought they wrote in the new FAQ that's it's ok to post screencaps.

NeitherSparky

[8]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 30
    Yes but I mean pictures for a guide's actual picture section. Something permanently attached to the guide - if they can't/won't allow that then I'm saying maybe they should let us post links to other sites in a permanent location as an alternative instead. A screencap in a forum will eventually go away - unless it's in a pinned thread. Which is connected to my other question, can we post lists of links in pinned threads?

sesho2022

[9]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 47
    NeitherSparky wrote:
    Yes but I mean pictures for a guide's actual picture section. Something permanently attached to the guide - if they can't/won't allow that then I'm saying maybe they should let us post links to other sites in a permanent location as an alternative instead. A screencap in a forum will eventually go away - unless it's in a pinned thread. Which is connected to my other question, can we post lists of links in pinned threads?

You make a good point, Neither. Permanent pictures or permanent links would be nice.

beowulf579

[10]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 59
    This has bothered me for a little while. I understand the need for the staff to have a certain level of tyranical control. If everyone could post pictures then it would be one big mess.
    But let's be honest...there is a limited amount of staff present here at TV.com. Is there no way where those that have achieved a certain level (maybe 40) could send in pics for people pages? This is with the understanding that the pics must be approved by regular TV.com staff and that one would need to show some maturity when doing this.
    Maybe I am naive, but I would hope that a person that has achieved at least a level 40 would have the common sense to be able to do this without screwing it up too much. Heck, we got some staff/mods that have levels as low as 28.

purplewowies

[11]Sep 16, 2011
    • level: 18
    beowulf579 wrote:
    This has bothered me for a little while. I understand the need for the staff to have a certain level of tyranical control. If everyone could post pictures then it would be one big mess.
    But let's be honest...there is a limited amount of staff present here at TV.com. Is there no way where those that have achieved a certain level (maybe 40) could send in pics for people pages? This is with the understanding that the pics must be approved by regular TV.com staff and that one would need to show some maturity when doing this.
    Maybe I am naive, but I would hope that a person that has achieved at least a level 40 would have the common sense to be able to do this without screwing it up too much. Heck, we got some staff/mods that have levels as low as 28.

If there was some sort of permissions or licensing process like Wikimedia has (OTRS and others), I could see that happening/working. But even high level users can be stupid enough to send in copyright pictures from a company that hasn't given them permission (i.e. Disney), and staff probably doesn't want to bog down their workload with that when they have to spend so much time redesigning the site over and over.

Synetech

[12]Nov 8, 2011
    • level: 22
    NeitherSparky wrote:
    That would never happen. TV.com does not want any links to other sites whatsoever, especially to other TV-show related sites like TVRage, IMDB, WikiPedia, etc. They are explicitly forbidden in the guides (eg in notes or allusions sections), so they certainly won't let you post external links for pictures. TV.com wants to keep users trapped within its walls to keep the ad revenue coming in otherwise they will lose money. Blame it on CBS; external links were not a problem with TVTome before CBS bought it.