Forums: TV.com General User Support: Facebook Connect

etong87

[1]Aug 4, 2009
    • level: 38

Hello All!

So a lot of you have voiced your concerns about having your real name appear on TV.com through Facebook connect. One option you have would be to change your name on your Facebook account. Here is how you do it:

-Log onto your Facebook account.

-Click on "Settings" at the top of the screen right next to "Logout".

-You will see a list of items, "Name" should be the first one on the list, click on "change".

-From here, you can change your first and last name, then click "Change Name".

-Check off the box next to "I confirm this is a legitimate request", then click "confirm request.

-Click back to your profile and your name should be changed! And it should be changed on TV.com as well!

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any questions!

Edited on 08/04/2009 11:50am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheOldBill

[2]Aug 4, 2009
    • level: 94

I don't have a Facebook account — I have a life instead — but if I did... TV.com designers have introduced a featurette that none asked for and (apparently) noone wants. After weeks of recriminations, your best idea is that we should change (possibly long-established) Facebook identities to maintain the veneer of privacy at TV.com? Gosh.

It seems that noone on the team at TV.com understands the concept of the protection of personal information — it's less than a year since the site decided to make our dates of birth public — far less the very real risk of identity theft. We leave large footprints when we register with on-line services, and it is already relatively straightforward to build a picture of a person by cross-referencing data appearing on websites. Thanks to the archiving of material by internet search engine services, the genie is already out of the bottle on this one.

Mac-Ale

[3]Aug 4, 2009
    • level: 60
    So far, it appears that the "real name" of Facebook members only appears in their upper dialog box (only visible by the user themselves).

Nevertheless, if I was a Facebook user, I would want to use my real name as that is meant for family and friends to most people. I am amused that a TV.com "solution" is to change an account name known to REAL life contacts to a handle on a TV site. Should a hypothetical "Jane Doe" turn their Facebook name to "LOVETrueBlood419" just because TV.com decided to invade their Facebook accounts without asking?
    Edited on 08/04/2009 4:50pm

dju010

[4]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 88
    Indeed I went to check out that option because I was curious. I never connected the two accounts.
    However under the item setting "name" it says "your real name". Why the heck would I change my real name on Facebook, with which real life friends actually find me there, just to hide it here?!

It's as Mac-Ale writes, but it's even worse! You are forced to hide your real name even in a place you want your real name posted just to hide it here. Sorry, but this can't be it.

layle1

[5]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 72
    DJU makes an excellent point. You're actually advising us to violate the terms of service for Facebook -- something that would get us banned here. That doesn't seem to be a real kosher course to follow. When I originally signed up for FB, I used a fake name because I was accessing either something funny or it had come up in research for one of "my" guides here -- I can't remember. When I began using the site for real, I corrected my name. As part of the process, you get a big old warning that you're only supposed to use your real name. I'm just saying, does FB know what you're telling us to do?

dju010

[6]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 88
    Layle1, I didn't know that, but it's an excellent point!!

I looked it up and in the Terms of Use, it's point 4 over at FB:
    Facebook wrote:
    Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way.

So in other words, everyone should be warned: the "solution" is a violation of the FB ToS! Seriously.

I hope the original post is edited/deleted/corrected soon!

agent_0042

[7]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 66
    Given that TV.com and Facebook are apparently partners in this, I wonder if Facebook is aware of what's going on here. Perhaps the people who are having problems with this would get better results complaining to them rather than TV.com.

skeeter291

[8]Sep 3, 2009
    Each user that follows your "advice" etong87 will be in violation of the FaceBook TOS...
    FaceBook TOS wrote:
    Section 4. Registration and Account Security Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
    1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.

By not providing us with a disconnect option YOU are in violation of FaceBook's TOS...
    FaceBook TOS wrote:
    Section 9. Special Provisions Applicable to Developers/Operators of Applications and Websites
    4. You will make it easy for users to remove or disconnect from your application.

Because I followed TV.Coms advice I received a TOS from FaceBook and had to inform them that I did what TV.Com advised me to do because they do not have a disconnect option. So, in order to get my FaceBook page restored I responded to the TOS and gave FaceBook the link to this thread.

Scott-
    Edited on 09/03/2009 12:10am
    Edited 3 total times.

supering

[10]Sep 5, 2009
    • level: 20
    I accidently clicked "Connect" instead of "Cancel".. Came here to ask for help, and now you're saying that freakin tv.com don't even have a frekin disconnect option!?!? Are you kiding!?!?! Seriosuly, if the people I have met here weren's so fantastic, I would have been gone a year ago!
    So what do I have to do, go to FB and complain there? Where/How? Please help!

agent_0042

[11]Sep 5, 2009
    Yeah, that seems to be the case. Go to Facebook and complain. You might want to send a PM to skeeter-- apparently he's been through this and knows who to talk to.

supering

[12]Sep 6, 2009

Ok, thank you.

Only one problem with that, I can't seem to find this skeeter-- :/

Edited on 09/06/2009 1:49am

angelandspike

[13]Sep 6, 2009
    Post 8 was made by skeeter291.

Would it be possible for staff to create a way for people to disconnect from Facebook so nobody else ends up violating the Facebook TOS?

supering

[14]Sep 6, 2009
    Oh, right! Thanx.

Yea, you'd think that would be a clever thing for tv.com to do. Wonder how long it will take for them to get that, though.

skeeter291

[15]Sep 6, 2009
    I sent a PM to etong87 and below is my PM and her reply...

etong87 wrote:
    Hi Scott!

Thanks for the heads up, sorry for the inconvenience.

TV.com Staff

Hi etong87,

I have two accounts on TV.Com, this account that I use all the time and another account that was made a long time ago. The other TV.Com account shares the email address that I have on Facebook. I have received a TOS violation from Facebook because I followed your advice found in THIS THREAD. I sent a reply to FaceBook telling them that you (TV.Com) did not offer a disconnect option from FaceBook. They sent me the policy that states that you as a website have to provide an easy disconnect option. I have posted the information in my post in the above thread but here is the information for you. From the FaceBook Terms of Service...

FaceBook TOS wrote:
    Section 9. Special Provisions Applicable to Developers/Operators of Applications and Websites

4. You will make it easy for users to remove or disconnect from your application.

You can use THIS LINK to report TV.Com. In short, I had to report TV.Com to Facebook for a TOS Violation for not having a disconnect option and for telling us to violate Facebook's TOS. I hope this helps to point everyone in the right direction.
    Scott-
    Edited on 09/06/2009 3:23pm
    Edited 7 total times.

AuntArlene

[16]Oct 18, 2009
    • level: 24
    Any further updates on this? I left this site for a myriad of reasons and just recently came back to check things out. I'm tired of the notice telling me this site requires me to use Facebook Connect to sign in. Saying "no" once should suffice.

skeeter291

[17]Oct 18, 2009
    AuntArlene wrote:
    Any further updates on this? I left this site for a myriad of reasons and just recently came back to check things out. I'm tired of the notice telling me this site requires me to use Facebook Connect to sign in. Saying "no" once should suffice.

I'm not sure but the info in This Thread might be of help. I had a bad time with all this Facebook crap.

Scott-
    Edited on 10/18/2009 10:51am

youtube_tv

[18]Oct 21, 2009
    • level: 25
    is there anyway to prevent the connection with Facebook. because i log on here today and a message pops up and says "This site requires you to connect with facebook" required is a little strong, how about optional?

angelandspike

[19]Oct 22, 2009
    The site doesn't require that you connect to facebook. Perhaps you clicked the connect button instead of the login link. I've done that a few times when I clicked login before the connect button finished loading.

J-Mac001

[20]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 2
    I keep getting that same message, telling me that this site requires me to connect with Facebook. I have not done that yet - and I will not. I'll leave before being forced to use another site's login for here. I already have a login for TV.com.

I know I have never used the "Connect with Facebook" button; I'm very careful about that. I just logged in for the first time in several weeks because I couldn't get past that darned Facebook required popup. I finally clicked "Forgot my Password" and then reset it to the same as it was. That finally let me login. But since then, earlier tonight, that Facebook required popup has appeared three more times.

This is ridiculous.

Jim