TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: TV.com General User Support: What does User Comments mean?

Finalsequel

[1]Dec 19, 2005
    • level: 30
    I just submitted some trivia, and underneath the trivia I was submitting was something called user comments. I read the description off to the side and even checked the FAQ and stil have no clue what it means! Will someone please tell me what it means?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Digger3000

[2]Dec 19, 2005
    • level: 43
    It's just a comment on the submission. Like "Adding trivia for this episodes." Or something.

lazlo_dork

[3]Dec 19, 2005
    • level: 29
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

missribs

[4]Dec 19, 2005
    • level: 47
    they are only notes for the editor/moderator to read, in the case that you need to explain some of the changes you are trying to make, etc...

another good thing you can use the "user comments" for is saving information you have submitted. for example, if you submit a summary/recap and cut & paste that info. into the "user comments" box, it will appear on the PM you receive regarding the handling of that particular submission.
    (hope i explained that correctly!)

RJ-viewer

[5]Dec 19, 2005
    • level: 51
    Since your user-submissions list, under your history tab, only lists the comments, not what you actually submitted, I find (especially on trivias or quotes) pasting the same thing you put into the submission box into comments (or you shorten it, if it's a long submission). That way you can tell when you go through your list which ones are which.

That's what I do.

Angus_Mac

[6]Dec 19, 2005
    • level: 71
    I usually throw in the episode number (lifetime or season) as well if i'm editing things over multiple episodes.

Finalsequel

[7]Dec 20, 2005
    Okay but what if it doesnt apply to any of those things. I am submitting some trivia about a person. The trivia is about her relationship with an old co-host. What should I write? I mean it has no episode number, or season.

Stig14

[8]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 56
    Finalsequel wrote:
    Okay but what if it doesnt apply to any of those things. I am submitting some trivia about a person. The trivia is about her relationship with an old co-host. What should I write? I mean it has no episode number, or season.

Perhaps you could supply the source of your information. That's something that I know I'd like to see when people are submitting stuff that isn't actually in an episode. So if you read it on-line, supply the address of the site where you read it; if you read it in a magazine, give the name and month/year of the mag; basically, cite your sources.

Finalsequel

[9]Dec 20, 2005
    That makes sense. Thanks alot!

123home123

[10]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 55
    Finalsequel wrote:

You can still include the trivia item in the comments. As noted earlier, you can only see the comment when you look at your submissions list. This will help to keep everything straight when (if?) you make a lot of submissions.

Angus_Mac

[11]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 71
    If you do copy and paste your submission into the user comment, make sure the line for the URL isn't so long that it pushes the comments block off the screen in My Submissions. But it doesn't hurt if you do anyways.

hainesg324

[12]Dec 22, 2005
    • level: 44
    What about when you are editor for the show? I still have to put in a user comment, although normally all I put in are my initials. Is there someway I could bypass having to do this since my submissions are accepted automatically and I know where they came from and what episode I am submitting to etc.

NeitherSparky

[13]Dec 22, 2005
    Since I figured it didn't matter, I used to just put a period in all my user comments when it was for a show I'm the editor for, just to have something in there - but now I at least put in the ep#, and what I added/changed ("add recap" for ex.). Some people still paste the whole sub in there though, which is probably for the best really.

EKlumppJr

[14]Dec 22, 2005
    • level: 23
    hainesg324 wrote:
    What about when you are editor for the show? I still have to put in a user comment, although normally all I put in are my initials. Is there someway I could bypass having to do this since my submissions are accepted automatically and I know where they came from and what episode I am submitting to etc.

If you check for every sub immediately after you submit it on the guides that you edit, it really shouldn't matter. I seem to be running about 8% and higher of subs that don't appear in my guides, for the last few days. Sometimes I get a couple in my queue, and sometimes they just never appear, even though they show as accepted in my subs history. If you wait too long before you check and resubmit them, you might forget what you submitted, unless you put it in the comments. For subs to any other editor or the QoD, you really need something to at least let you know what it was.