Forums: TV.com General User Support: Where did he get all those points?

MonkeyD_basic

[1]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 12
    I used to be the editor for several shows on TV Tome, but when this site switched over, I lost all but two of my shows.

I still had control over one of the shows, Darkwing Duck, but I wasn't given editor status, in fact no one had it. Then one day, editor status was given to someone else, who as far as I could tell, had never contributed to the site before, not that I could verify this - I assume he must have made some contributions to get some points, but I can't figure out what he as contributed. Since that show is stopped airing a long time ago, and the guide was 99% complete, I am unsure of what he contributed or how he got those points.

Anyhow, that user had fewer points than I did, but was still made the editor. Later I checked with some people in the forums, and they said that if my level was less than 6 (4?) I couldn't be give editor status, which maybe why it was given to someone with fewer points that I had.

So I have been watching my Darkwing Duck collection of videos, collecting data to contribute to the site and fill in the blank spots, in a hope to gain some points.

So I contacted the person who was given editor status, and asked them to make me a trusted user, which he did immediately. But then the next day when I went to the site, he had more than double the amount of points he had previously, though I can detect NO changes to the episode guide. The blank spots remain.

How is this possible???

I would like to know how he could have gotten those points over night.

I'm pretty unhappy with the way that all the work I have put in when this site was TV Tome has been pretty much disregarded, and I lost most of my editor positions, without even any sort of notification.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mgreen789

[2]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 50
    you need 80 points to become editor so when you transfered to TV.com, just probably didn't have enough points. You need to be at level 5 to be able to see the queue once you are editor. Once someone is an editor, they have instant submission privledges, which means they can rapidly add stuff. The new editor probably did add minor things like guest stars and stuff, though if nothing is changed, it could be abuse (though, highly unlikely). Try PMing them about it.

MonkeyD_basic

[3]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 12
    Thanks for your reply.

I read a little bit about adding guest star and such (but I don't think there are any to be added).

I am still considering PMing them about it.

But it seems a little odd that he went from having less points than I did which hadn't changed for seveal months to suddenly jumping up more than 200 points.

The_Unknown2

[4]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 51
    He may have corrected spelling/grammar errors in summaries or recaps.

TheOldBill

[5]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 94
    MonkeyD_basic wrote:
    I'm pretty unhappy with the way that all the work I have put in when this site was TV Tome has been pretty much disregarded, and I lost most of my editor positions, without even any sort of notification.
    I'm sorry you are upset. There have been various issues on this site, and the acquisition of editorship remains an area of controversy, although the same rules apply to us all. There is nothing to say that one has to contribute over a period: I made my first contribution to a show a few hours ago and will be its editor tomorrow. I note that you had 139 points at 21 June when he had no more than 92, so presume that he had crept in front of you by the time editorships were being handed out. Looking on the bright side, the editor has made you trusted, and you have clearly had more stuff to add, given that you are now on 152.

But if I might presume to make a small correction: this site was never TVTome, TV.com just acquired the TVTome database.

jekyll

[6]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 86
    MonkeyD_basic wrote:
    Thanks for your reply.

I read a little bit about adding guest star and such (but I don't think there are any to be added).

But it seems a little odd that he went from having less points than I did which hadn't changed for seveal months to suddenly jumping up more than 200 points.
    I don't know why you're asking us when you haven't even tried that simplest idea of just asking the editor.

jchamberlin

[7]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 61
    jekyll wrote:
    MonkeyD_basic wrote:
    Thanks for your reply.

I don't know why you're asking us when you haven't even tried that simplest idea of just asking the editor.

Perhaps he doesn't want some sort of confrontation with the Editor, who may take offense to his question(s), and remove him as a Trusted User. Just a thought...

agent_0042

[8]Dec 22, 2005
    • level: 66
    Hmm. TV Tome has been TV.com for a long time now and you're only just now asking about this. I could be way off-base here, but is it possible that you didn't join the site using the form that switches over your points? Or it could just be another of the annoying bugs...