Forums: TV.com General User Support: Why does season 4 of Torchwood have its own show page?

numberonecubsfa

[1]Jul 22, 2011
    • level: 6

http://www.tv.com/torchwood/show/50470/summary.html

http://www.tv.com/torchwood-miracle-day/show/81186/summary.html

I don't understand this. Torchwood: Miracle Day is not a new show some how separate from the old. Granted yes, it has a new financial backer in the form of Starz, but it's still the same show. It's merely the name for season 4 of the series. Season 3 was called Children of Earth, but you don't see that with its own listing. What forum do I go to or site mod do I talk to about this? By splitting it up, it just confuses things and messes with the comprehensiveness of the main show page.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Jul 22, 2011
    • level: 100
    Starz requested it be a separate show, for the reasons stated plus the fact that it's not only being financed by Starz, but the majority of the production has moved to the U.S. As of the second episode they don't appear to be doing any UK/Welsh filming, and the majority of the production crew are the usual American/Canadian suspects.

Testifying as the editor of the "old" Torchwood, with one exception, no one has been confused about separating the two shows when it comes to submitting.

You can contact a staff member like nilla_chelle01 or etong87, but at this point I highly suspect that it's not going to do any good.

jekyll

[3]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 86

It absolutely is nonsense. Who cares what the network 'asks for'? Starz saying this isn't the fourth season of Torchwood doesn't make it so. This is about as bad as that dabbling in having separate guides for original airings of BBC shows and when they reran on Sci-Fi. It's stupid and confusing. WhenI looked the show up two weeks ago and saw Miracle Day as a separate listing, I assumed it was a duplicate created and approved by people who didn't know any better and went to the 'real' Torchwood page instead.

Gislef

[4]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 100
    Moving to General User Support as this is a user/policy question, not a discussion thread about TV in general

Simply saying "Starz saying this isn't the fourth season of Torchwood doesn't make it so." doesn't make it so, either.

The show is now an American production, as a glance at the crew credits makes clear past the first episode. It's financed by Americans, it's produced in America, it uses an American crew, it premieres in America. The show may not have continued without American involvement.

Listing Doctor Who as two separate series seems to have worked out pretty well. The question is, presumably, how big a gap between series is necessary to make them separate shows. And at what point does a new series deriving from an original becomes a "new" show"?
    Edited on 07/23/2011 4:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

numberonecubsfa

[5]Jul 23, 2011
    I'm not sure Doctor Who is really a fair example. Though it retains the continuity of the original show, the 20-some years between productions pretty well dictates that it's a new show, just more as a sequel to the original. To cite one of your own guides as an example, Gislef, Justice League Unlimited. Unlike Torchwood, that actually IS two different shows, called Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. Yet they are all listed together, under one series name. Explain that one.

numberonecubsfa

[6]Jul 25, 2011
    Well, I've messaged both staff members and pleaded my case. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the input, Gislef.