Forums: TV.com Technical Support Board: Unofficial Bug List

angelandspike

[1]Jun 17, 2006
    • level: 66
    This list has been compiled by several regular users at tv.com and is in no way an official list. The list is being posted with permission from missribs and is an attempt to help the staff by gatnering the bugs we find in one place.

If discussion occurs in this thread, the thread will probably be locked as that renders it useless to the staff. Please read the list before you post to make sure the bug is not already on the list.

Thanks.

Submissions

1. (Bugged but hard to replicate) Changes made to submissions in the queue do not go live to the site.
    2. (Bugged but hard to replicate) Page Not Found Error - link back to the guide is lost and submission gets stuck in editor's queue.
    3. (Bugged but hard to replicate) Submissions go to the incorrect guide because all guide links are lost.
    4. Adding cast - when you do a search on cast a javascript error box opens up and the close button isn't always visible. This is most likely due to an incompatibility between the code and some ad blocking software. It does not seems to be an issue for users who do not utilize ad blocking software. Code needs to be rewritten to accomodate those users who do as disabling the software does not relieve the problem entirely.
    5. Adding crew - When adding a crew member to an episode, the Role field is listed above the Search for a Crew Member field. When choosing a role other than Writer, the first one on the list, the field reverts to Writer after selecting the Add Search for Crew button.
    6. Aliases - These need to be displayed on the summary page. They need to be deletable. They need to be searchable (like IMDb) and tied into the main name in searches and submissions. This will prevent duplicate guides from being created.
    7. Search updates need to be more frequent.
    8. Grammar and spelling errors on forms need to be fixed. There are a lot of them out there, such as "verfication" and "themself" which have been used on these forms.
    9. Back to Page - If you hit Back to Page button, it clears the submission form.
    10. Show Stars edit for guides with editor - Kicks you to the generic tv.com front page rather than giving you message stating that only the editor is able to edit this area.
    11. Episodes assigned to nonexistent season or incorrect season - Episode is assigned a high season number (usually only visible on the surface, but correct number is actually there when summary submission page is opened). Often, episode is placed in the incorrect season. It is only visible when All Seasons are viewed. It appears that the next ordinal is used (one of mine is assigned to season 1136, one of yours to season 1137). This issue has increased in frequency over the last month.
    12. (Fixed - no date) The reset button on the Contribute to the Crew of and Contribute to Episode [Cast] generate a Page Not Found error.
    13. Removal of incorrect producer credits assinged to episodes at TVTome - This is not possible. We need a way to remove incorrect producer credits that were assigned at episode level.
    14. Deleted Episodes - When staff delete an episode, it appears to be deleted only on some server views. Refreshing the episode list sees the offending episode appear and disappear.
    15. Recurring Star Script - It needs to be sorted by character name, not actor name. (This became worse with TV.com 2.0)
    16. Recurring Role Listing - an actor's recurring role does not list the individual episodes. For example, go to Wayne Knight's credits page. He is shown as having a recurring role as Newman, but the individual shows are not listed. If I have to edit something relating to his character, I can't find a listing of his appearances. (I have to go to an external site to find this information).
    17. (Fixed - no date) Apostrophe in Actor Name - System will not create a new person guide if the person has an apostrophe in his name. The guide must be created without the apostrophe and then the guide has to be edited to add the apostrophe. The problem is that the guide is not searchable with the apostrophe until the search has been updated. The system adds the character name with a blank for the name next to it in the show guide.
    18. Newly created person guides do not appear in the system until the submission has been accepted. This causes duplicate guides to be created for the same person if more than one submission for that person is made at the same time. Even after an editor accepts the first submission, remaining submissions create duplicate guides when accepted because the system has generated a new ID for each submission. Currently, there is no method in place for an editor to determine if a submission in the queue is creating a new guide or being made to an existing guide. There is no way for an editor to change the guide to which the submission is being made from the queue either.
    19. Contribution header for people trivia says Contribute to the person's BIOGRAPHY.
    20. Suffix of II, II, IV, etc. does not display properly for a person guide. It displays in parentheses and should not. Example: Duane Lee Chapman II (371404).

PMs

1. System generated tracking PMs - In the automatic tracking PMs, the links that should go to the user's profile page, the "click here" link and the link to your contacts page are all set up to be the URL of the message ID for that PM, so clicking on any one of them takes you right back to the PM.
    2. System generated tracking PMs - If you click the link in the PM's to track the person, it doesn't always work and you can sometimes end up with a 'ghost contact' (an extra contact that doesn't exist) To fix it you have to stop tracking and then start tracking the person again.
    3. Links in PMs - Links in PMs are not set to open outside the PM window.
    4. HTML links do not function. Only BBCode links function.
    5. Send Button - The send button isn't visible for users whose screens are set to an 800 by 600 resolution.
    6. HTML links do not function. Only BBCode links function.
    7. Can't see send and delete buttons for PMs with 800 x 600 resolution.
    8. No scrollbar for the displaying of more than the 10 items or lengthy subject lines.
    9. Deleting PMs - When you first press the delete button, it deletes your check marks, not your PMs. This seems to happen consistently when more than 4 PMs are checked.

Blogs

1. Blog comments are being cut off on right hand side again when there is a long line in a comment.
    2. When trying to post an image other than a smiley in comments section an error is generated: Errors: You cannot post images in messages on this board.
    3. When you comment on a blog with many comments, it refreshes by going to the first comment, instead of the last comment, as it should.

Profiles

1. If you add a new show to your Favourites, the ratings button is disabled.
    2. Submission History - Long comment lines push the accepted/denied column off so you can't access it.
    3. Friends' Blogs List - Comments link does not work.

Preferences

1. Changes made to preferences can't be saved.
    2. Can't see save button in preferences with 800 x 600 resolution.
    3. The gender and birthdate fields are disabled.
    4. The 'My Listings' still displays the incorrect dates on the first attempt.
    5. Missing tab to choose connection speed.

Forums

1. (Fixed 22/06/06) Editor icons and the Moderator icons are no longer visible.
    2. Composing window often fails to open without refreshing/reloading (it just goes to the bottom of the page without opening the composing box).
    3. WYSISYG Editor often adds too much space into posts.
    4. HTML errors warning comes up when running spell check even when there are no errors
    5. WYSIWYG Editor - Text name doesn't seem to work in the link creation box, however typing the link name in the post and then highlighting the name and clicking on the link tool in the editor and pasting in the URL does work.
    6. WYSIWYG Editor - Link creation box doesn't have flashing cursor, so it's hard to know if you're in the correct field.
    7. Censor Filters - When something is auto-censored by the filter, it doesn't tell you what was censored.
    8. The "mark all as read" feature in threads does not function on the first attempt.

Other

1. Site logs you out of the server for no reason.

New Bugs

1. Changing a cast or crew entry requires two submissions - one to remove the incorrect entry and one to add the correct entry. It seems to work in one submission if the submitter is not the guide editor or a trusted user.

2. Adding Notes to show guides - the description is for an Allusion instead of a Note.

3. Journal Emblem is not visible when comments section is viewed or when posting a new blog.

4. Level 54 (Prison Warden) displays the level 53 (Commander in Chief) emblem.

5. Banned users scores are visible on the top contributors list.

6. News on the show summary page is unrelated to the show.

7. Users under level 3 are able to post images in signatures.

8. Some users are not able to see other users' blogs. Further explanation can be found in this thread. Both Stig14 and Freo_Dude have mentioned this issue.

9. Airs Next is displayed next to the air time for a show that no longer airs. Please see post #25 in this thread for a screen capture of this issue.

10. Aliases are still not searchable.

Additonal Bugs

This thread (Credits : Bugs and other bugs - stuff) has a list of older bugs. Not all of them have been addressed.
    Edited on 07/30/2006 12:05pm
    Edited 8 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvwatcher21

[2]Jun 17, 2006
    • level: 18

Here's one I forgot to add - I guess because I'm so used to doing it this way. But I still consider this a bug.

bugChanging a character name requires a two-step process.

e.g. Clint Eastwood (currently listed as portraying J.P. Jones) needs to be changed to Clint Eastwood (as John Paul Jones). If I want to make this correction, I have to first delete Clint Eastwood (J.P. Jones) in one submission, then add Clint Eastwood (John Paul Jones) in a separate submission.

Ideally, I could delete Clint Eastwood (J.P. Jones) and add Clint Eastwood (John Paul Jones) in one submission.

(Thanks Al, great job.)

mgreen789

[3]Jun 17, 2006
    • level: 50
    Show Guide Note Description Bug

When you add a note to a show guide, the description shows what an allusion is instead.

ntonks_tvtome

[4]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 40
    Angel, you can take my list for the people guides / credits bugs if you want

sesho2022

[5]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 47

Yesterday, when I edited my post in this thread, it duplicated my post and put it at the end of the thread, so I was forced to delete the extra post (and my edit). I don't know if the large image caused this bug.

_Islander_

[6]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 31
    Very good - just a couple of things I'd like to say:

angelandspike wrote:
    4. Adding cast - when you do a search on cast a javascript error box opens up and the close button isn't always visible. This is most likely due to an incompatibility between the code and some ad blocking software. It does not seems to be an issue for users who do not utilize ad blocking software. Code needs to be rewritten to accomodate those users who do as disabling the software does not relieve the problem entirely.

Well, it doesn't seem to relieve the problem at all - you get the javascript errors whether you block adds to the site or not.

angelandspike wrote:
    9. Deleting PMs - When you first press the delete button, it deletes your check marks, not your PMs. This seems to happen consistently when more than 4 PMs are checked.

Well that's strange - it's never happened to me. I regularly delete 20-30 PMs at once, with no problems.

tvwatcher21 wrote:
    If I want to make this correction, I have to first delete Clint Eastwood (J.P. Jones) in one submission, then add Clint Eastwood (John Paul Jones) in a separate submission.

Ideally, I could delete Clint Eastwood (J.P. Jones) and add Clint Eastwood (John Paul Jones) in one submission.

(Thanks Al, great job.)

That's a very good point, though I feel that ideally you wouldn't need to delete anything at all, and you could just change the character in one sub without deleting the old and submitting the new.

minimax34

[7]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 58
    Blog: When you'r posting a blog post some emblems are disapearing and come back when you'r not posting

TheOldBill

[8]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 94

Profile: everyone on Level 54 Prison Warden (ahem) has the Commander in Chief icon.

tvwatcher21

[9]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 18
    _Islander_ wrote:
    tvwatcher21 wrote:
    If I want to make this correction, I have to first delete Clint Eastwood (J.P. Jones) in one submission, then add Clint Eastwood (John Paul Jones) in a separate submission.

(Thanks Al, great job.)

That's a very good point, though I feel that ideally you wouldn't need to delete anything at all, and you could just change the character in one sub without deleting the old and submitting the new.

Islander, you make an excellent point on what is the preferable fix. (The bug is that if I tried to add actor (correct character name) and delete actor (incorrect character name), the Verification Page shows both changes, when the script will only do the deletion.)

So, if the staff were to address this bug, our preference is that we could make any edits 'in place'. I know that some users take great care in arranging the cast order, and making any corrections might rearrange the order. (yes, I know: being able to sort the cast order - another one for the Wish List.)

Vermifuge

[10]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 46

Thanks so much for the help.  I’ll report all the issues I can reproduce.

my_lyf_rox

[11]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 7
    grr i need help because i keep on trying to put a photobucket image on my signature and every time i push save changesthe code dissapears either completely or mostly and so it wont let me have an image for my signature

mgreen789

[12]Jun 19, 2006
    at level 1, you are not allowed to use HTML code to post pictures.

my_lyf_rox

[13]Jun 19, 2006
    oh ok i guess that makes sense what level do you have to be?

mgreen789

[14]Jun 19, 2006
    Level 3

TV.com FAQs wrote:
    Are levels used for anything?

Yes, we use levels as a gateway to certain special privileges for high-ranked users. These include but are not limited to the following milestones.

• Levels in general contribute to the scoring system we use to order the moderation queue.
    • Level 2: A user can submit information to shows in the database.
    • Level 3: A user can use HTML and Bbcode in the message boards.
    • Level 5: A user who is also an editor for a show will be given access to and approval authority for that show's submission queue.
    Edited on 06/19/2006 2:42pm

my_lyf_rox

[15]Jun 19, 2006

oh i guess it wouldve helped to actually read that huh?

thanks

my_lyf_rox

[16]Jun 19, 2006

oh i guess it wouldve helped to actually read that huh?

thanks

RaijinPaladinix

[17]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 52
    I don't know if this would be considered a glitch, but banned users' scores on show guides have showed up on the top contribution point lists.  These were taken off some time ago, and are back now.  I don't know if the staff decided to put this back on, or?

studog2961

[18]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 55

Guides: On the main show guide page if you look to the section called “Current Forum Topics” all the avatars are Howdy.

Nothing major I know, just pointing this trivial thing out.

Great list Al…thanks!

Edited on 06/20/2006 2:08pm

sesho2022

[19]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 47
    Here's a show bug. The News posted on a show summary page is unrelated to your show, at all.

Im2Crazy4U

[20]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 51
    studog2961 wrote:

Guides: On the main show guide page if you look to the section called “Current Forum Topics” all the avatars are Howdy.

Nothing major I know, just pointing this trivial thing out.

Great list Al…thanks!

This has been fixed now.