Forums: TV.com User Submission Support: Don't waste time joining TV.com

athinsz

[1]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 2

As a short introduction I would like to state I've been using TV.com for at least five years getting easy and mostly accurate information about old and new TV-shows to an extent that IMDB can only compete and beat with full-feature movies.

After bumping into a few errors over the years wishing I would have cared enough to create an account and correct them, recently I decided I wanted others to benefit from the few corrections I felt comfortable doing, going against my reluctance to get "stuck" with accounts over half the web.

I join around September 2010 and spend about one hour trying to figure out how to create two TV-shows ("Tenchi in Tokyo" and "Tenchi Universe"). After three weeks nothing has happened and since the information given says it takes about two weeks for the staff to check new submissions, I make another one having to rewrite the whole thing since it's not saved anywhere. I also add in the comment field that unless the show is added inside the next week I want my newly created account terminated.

About two weeks after that I send a PM to "Angelandspike" saying I want something to happen or my account deleted getting a response that my account can't be deleted and that I should contact a staff member instead which I do. One and a half weeks later I get a response from "nilla_chelle01" saying that I should make sure that my source information is correct (duh) and that I should fill in the request form AGAIN. I'm also informed again that my account cannot be deleted.

So problem number one... unless you want to have your personal information stuck on a CBS server FOREVER... don't create an account on TV.com

I'm busy for the next few weeks but to my surprise the TV-shows I requested have now been created so I start making requests to have episodes that are incorrectly created under the TV-show "Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki" moved to the new TV-shows. We're now in mid-November. Shortly after I get a respons saying that my requests to move the episodes have been rejected (not pending but rejected) with the explanation:

Moderator Comment:
    do not reorganize. i need to talk with staff about this.

A week after I send another PM to "nilla_chelle01" saying that even though the new shows were created my changes to fix the existing errors on the site were rejected.

No respons.

The 4th of December the shows that were created no longer exist and I send the following PM to "nilla_chelle01":

Hi,

If I understand it correctly, the quality and accuracy of the service you supply your users with (and therefor the target of your commercials on the site and your income) are based on the willingness of the same users to supply the site with information.

Since I sent the email below a MONTH ago, the new shows that were added on my request ("Tenchi in Tokyo" and "Tenchi Universe") have been deleted, this after having spent almost two months trying to have them created by you people in the first place. My requested changes are still pending/rejected with the explanation:

Moderator Comment:
    do not reorganize. i need to talk with staff about this.

and nothing further. That was almost SIX WEEKS ago.

Now I don't want to have my personal information spread out all over the web and it took me five years to decide to create an account on your site to help you with what I could. You seem either ignorant or uninterested in that help and therefor I want my account with you deleted. If you cannot do this personally then do ask someone that can. If there has been some sort of mistake and the changes I'm suggesting (based on many other sources that shows the tv.com information is inaccurate) will in fact be implemented then please make them happen.

Regards

No respons.

It's now one and a half weeks later and the shows I requested to be created have magically reappeared again but without any episodes in them and my requests are still rejected without any direct contact from TV.com for two months.

So what's the conclussion and the experience I have as a new user on TV.com? I've wasted countless hours finding and sorting accurate information about a specific show, figuring out how to fill in TV.com forms, finding contact information for Moderators and staff members, PMing previously mentioned people, resubmitting the forms, being asked to do so again a third time, seeing the shows created, seeing them disappear, waiting for replies that never come and after THREE MONTHS the errors I tried to correct are no closer of being so than before I spent all that time trying to help out.

So please do continue to use and benefit from the site (don't click any of their banners or commercials) but don't be an idiot thinking you would want to contribute to the site. You'll only end up banging your head against the keyboard until you bleed.

That's all for now. Signing off.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Dec 14, 2010
    • level: 66
    You can contribute to the site - the problems are with adding new shows and such. Submitting to existing guides generally works just fine. Sorry you had that experience - I know that TV.com has a lot of problems.

TheOldBill

[3]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 94

The merits of splitting the guide, and the way that this was being effected, was raised in the Editor's [ sic ] Lounge.

agent_0042

[4]Dec 21, 2010
    • level: 66
    TheOldBill wrote:
    [ sic ]

LOL.

athinsz

[5]Jan 7, 2011

I'm sorry OldBill but how does this have anything to do with what I wrote? Or are you just confirming that the problems I've been having have been adressed before in a different part of the forum.

Mac-Ale

[6]Jan 7, 2011
    • level: 60
    The discussion TheOldBill is referring to was the editor of the original series confirming that the staff had split a guide into separate series. It appears that staff changed their minds about the split and decided to keep episodes in one larger series.

Since there is always a stampede to make or consolidate many of these anime series based on original broadcasts, US broadcasts etc., it often means that these things take time to resolve.

athinsz

[7]Jan 8, 2011

That's the kind of information I was expecting from a Moderator, not another user. What you're saying would make sense if it wasn't FOUR months later and the series that I requested to be created are BACK (with no episodes of course since my original requests to move them have been denied).

What I'm asking you and the TV.com team is the following retorical question: do you think I'm more concerned about keeping trying to fill in more requests and forms to have the information corrected (the episodes moved from the incorrect series to the correct one), or that this or any other change I will try and make will takes months and months of emailing and filling in forms along with the fact that I have no say whatsoever in removing my personal information from CBS?

My original point stands, don't sign up on TV.com thinking you'll be able to contribute. Spend your time doing something more productive like banging your head against your keyboard.

deershadow

[8]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 59
    I have a couple of important questions.

1. Did you you talk to the editor about this before doing anything?

2. Why should the show guide be split up into three separate guides in the first place?

If the answer to the first question is no, then now you've learned exactly what the first thing is that you need to do. By not bothering to communicate with an editor before submitting changes, you are potentially wasting your time. That will hold true for any guide you contribute to.

If the answer to the first question is yes, then what did the editor have to say about your proposed changes? You two should both be willing to communicate and cooperate in order to deal with this situation properly.

As for the second question, you should thoroughly explain why the method currently used for listing the Tenchi Muyo series is not sufficient and why you consider the method you're trying to accomplish to be the better one. You definitely will have trouble making such changes if you yourself are not communicating such vital information right from the start.

Angus_Mac

[9]Feb 3, 2011
    • level: 71
    As the editor of Tenchi Muyo here, I need to put in my two cents since I'm the one who responded to you with "do not reorganize. i need to talk with staff about this."

Early on in the development of the guide, it was decided that the Ryo-Ohki OVA (the two sets of direct-to-videos), Universe (TV series 1) and Tokyo (TV series 2) were going to be placed under one guide since they were being shown in America on the Toonami Network as Tenchi Muyo. They even were shown in consecutive order on International Channel (right before they renamed to AZN TV) as the same group. They featured the same voice actors both English and Japanese, and production companies. So it made sense to keep all information in one guide. Meanwhile the Tenchi Muyo GXP show stayed separate since that featured a completely different set of characters.

It's been like that since the TV Tome days (pre-2005). I took over the guide back around 2006 and spent countless hours on the cast and crew lists, summaries and recaps, notes, and other detailed information. Then OVA3 came up and I put that as Season 5 since it was broadcast 10 years afterwards. All of the TV series structures have been explained in the Show Summary, and people have been regularly contributing and updating to the unified guide for years as such without complaint.

Then in November 2010, I get a batch of your submissions changing episode numbers and reorganizing the guide. I looked around and discovered that a different staff member decided to create the separate TV shows, without informing me at all. I can understand your reasoning that technically they could be separated out since they are different TV series, but I wanted a response from staff if they really wanted this.

So I PM'ed nilla about why this was being done. I picked nilla since she's the anime expert on staff and has helped me numerous times in getting guides consolidated, allocated, renamed and organized. But she wasn't the one who created the new guides so I'm assuming she wasn't even consulted about the move. I even created a thread about this in the related Editor's Lounge, expressing my frustration, but nothing has come from that, other than some sympathy from my fellow editors.

Where to go from here? I now know what you want, and hopefully you understand why I resisted. I just PM'ed nilla again yesterday, and hope that someone on staff who understands the situation properly and can give us a decision.

Angus_Mac

[10]Feb 3, 2011
    In the event that nilla's roles and responsibilities have changed here, I would like to hear from staff about that too, so we can contact the right person.

athinsz

[11]Feb 18, 2011

@Deershadow

1. As there is no sticky post here under the "User submission support" part of the TV.com forum with an easy explanation about how to create a new show and what to do when this doesn't work... notice how I use the word "when" and not "if"... I would have no idea how it works as a NEW user now would I. You've been a member since 2005 and know there is such a thing as editors and editor lounges. So it's not so much not bothering to contact the editor as you claim, as much as someone not bothering to tell me to even though I've been in contact with several moderators and help staff. The latest email I sent was to ProblemEditor having read that this was the very last step to take. I asked if maybe all the trouble I've been having was because of an absent editor and asked for someone to get back to me. I sent the email the 22nd of January and can you believe it... NO ONE HAS RESPONDED!!!

The only place I could find any information at all about adding a new show is here:

http://www.tv.com/feature/helpcenter/?tag=usermenu;help

I will quote from the part dealing with creating new shows:

How do I add a show?

You should use this form for new show submissions. Note that new shows do not appear immediately and must be added by staff. Also note that we add only those shows that we deem to be of general interest to our user base. Shows that are determined to be of general interest will have top priority in being added.

Not a whole bunch of info is there.

As you can see from the later response down below I was actually unbeknownst to myself in contact with the editor and he has in turn been waiting for a response from the TV.com moderators for almost as long as I have.

2) Angus_Mac has already explained a bit about my request but to put it simply Tenchi Muyo became a popular household name in Japan and several different directors took the basic characters, juggled them around a bit and came up with completely different back stories and events for them. In one character A is from outer space. In another character A is a normal "earthling" and there are no references to space. In another character A can use magic and was born out of the ass of a pink baby elephant and in that show character B, C and D never existed. Except for the names of the characters and some loose attributes these shows are nothing alike and should be treated as such, having them under the same name under different seasons is HIGHLY confusing and I think Angus might have realised that or he would have thrown away my requests all together.

In other words, the question is not whether my requests were unwarranted or not but why the changes are still not made after six months... and we're back to why I wrote my original post in the first place.

@Angus_Mac

First I need to repeat what I told Deershadow: I have sent an email to ProblemEditor about my changes not happening. Seeing as you were the first person I was in contact with (maybe sign your comments with - Tenchi Editor?) and that your response was actually prompt I hope you don't get in trouble. Having read your comments and those of previous users I'm starting to understand a bit more how TV.com works and where the fault lies. It's unacceptable that nothing still has been done but at least I can't blame you, the editor of this show, anymore.

I first saw Tenchi Muyo about 15 years ago and only the first four episodes and when I finally realised what the show was called I was trying real hard to make sense of all the different Tenchi Muyo out there and which one was the "right" one with the story line I liked (Ryo-ohki that is). I have lots and lots of notes and explanations from different sites sitting on my computer making sense of the whole mess and my own descriptions of the different shows so that the information is "original" and not copied. I want to get rid of it and never see it again but more so I don't want anyone else to get trapped in the Tenchi mess that I had to go through before I figured out what was canon and what wasn't. If you believe you can do that without my contributions please do so and let me know. Otherwise let's discuss these changes I want to make and let's do them before another 6 month passes.

Regards

Angus_Mac

[12]Feb 18, 2011
    You're welcome to fix up the Show Summary with your Notes, as I've also had attempted to organize the "seasons" for the three different shows and provide explanations as to why it is set up that way. I haven't heard back from staff so I'm going to ask them to restore it to what it used to be.

Angus_Mac

[13]Feb 18, 2011
    I've emailed staff again referring to these related threads.