Forums: TV.com Technical Support Board: Season drop down menu gone.

laurameyer

[1]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 58
    Can someone please add the drop down menu for each season of CSI:NY? The guide looks funny without it. The guide looks all episodes were in season 1.
    http://www.tv.com/csi-ny/show/24125/episode.html
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bowling255

[2]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 66

This is happening with all the shows.

If you want to view just one season put ?season=1 at the end of the address while at the episode list page. Just change the number at the end to what season you want.

Edited on 12/02/2008 12:41pm
    Edited 3 total times.

nilla_chelle01

[3]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 55
    Dev team is looking at this right now. And thanks for the workaround, bowling255!

Mac-Ale

[4]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 60
    There is a space for it to be put back in. Seasons are now listed in reverse order on episode guide view. You can click on them directly rather than using a dropdown (which I like and wish would replace the dropdown on episode list view).

It's still not possible to access the "other" episodes, unless the workaround accepts that.

Soooooo, this may be just a temporary loss, but none of it makes it any easier for visitors to navigate program guides.

TheOldBill

[5]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 94

Good to know that someone is looking at the thing that someone just broke.

Remember that corporate blather when TV.com said they had been listening, then let their developers remove features and functionality, corrupt guide data, and break what was left of the site? (If they had been listening, they might have thought about fixing outstanding features broken or removed in July 2007.) Eleven weeks later, most broken functions and features are still broken. And the developers are still adding new features and breaking things as they go!

I see that each page of every guide that I edit has seven new tabs each carrying the message "There are currently no videos." Thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to work out what the five news ("There are currently no stories.") and five photos ("There are currently no photos.") tabs are for. I think I can see what the Downloads + DVDs tabs are for, but think it would be better if they carried DVD information in place of the "There are currently no dvd for [show name]" messages.

SPDShadowRanger

[6]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 72
    Oh Bill, any little jab you can get. Funny.

richtidd

[7]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 6

Well. I would like the drop down episode list menu brought back.
    I did the ?season=1 as suggested & while that works, it is not a friendly way to select a particular season.

The drop down list is better.

Thanks to the person who suggested the ?season=1method.

Rich

Jaxiecracks

[8]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 41
    I'm afraid we're not getting the dropdown back. However, dev is working on getting the season links back on the episode list format, as well as links to "other" episodes. Sorry for the disruption!

Mac-Ale

[9]Dec 3, 2008
    There is a list of seasons on the list view now. I think the direct option to click on a season is better than the dropdown.

The "list all" (all the episodes from all the seasons) is now gone. I did use it to check my numbers as an editor, I have no idea if visitors used it much.

bowling255

[10]Dec 3, 2008
    I Like how it is now better than the drop down and it now defaults to the last season rather than the first. On thing I don't like is when viewing a season the first episode listed is now listed last and the last is first. it goes from last to first instead of first to last.
    Edited on 12/03/2008 11:45am
    Edited 2 total times.

Gislef

[11]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 102
    Whether the last-to-first display is beneficial tends to depend on whether the show is still on the air.

If a show is currently airing new episodes, I'm more likely to want and need access to the most recent episode. having it come up first and at the top is therefore more useful.

For any show no longer airing, a first-to-last would be preferably. It's equally likely that you could be accessing the first episode or the last, and a straight chronological progression is easier on the reader.

Ideally, making the display vary depending on whether the show is airing or cancelled would be the best solution...

mb2000

[12]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 101
    Jaxiecracks wrote:
    I'm afraid we're not getting the dropdown back. However, dev is working on getting the season links back on the episode list format, as well as links to "other" episodes.

Wonderful. Though I'm not surprised they took it out, as it was actually quite useful.

So with these 'new' season links, how long is it going to take to get from one end of a show with say, 32 seasons, to the other? No doubt you won't be able to see all the numbers all the time, so are we going to have to go to Season 10 to get the line of numbers to move, then Season 20, then Season 30 etc just to each the last season? That'll be clever, seen as the last season will the one most people will visit.

Jaxiecracks wrote:
    Sorry for the disruption!

We're all used it by now.

francklloyd

[13]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 57
    The system of listing episodes in reverse order is completely counter-intuitive and a bad idea. It only causes more confusion.

The suggestion that recent shows should be shown that way means that the designers would have to add another variable (on air/no longer on air). That's just asking for more trouble ... and haven't we had enough of that?

First fix what is broken, leave things that do work alone, and when all of that is finished, think about possibly adding things.

Mac-Ale

[14]Dec 3, 2008
    francklloyd wrote:
    The system of listing episodes in reverse order is completely counter-intuitive and a bad idea. It only causes more confusion.

The suggestion that recent shows should be shown that way means that the designers would have to add another variable (on air/no longer on air). That's just asking for more trouble ... and haven't we had enough of that?

First fix what is broken, leave things that do work alone, and when all of that is finished, think about possibly adding things.

It sort of loosely mimics the reverse order of the most recent five episodes that used to display on the program homepages (maybe that was the thinking), but I agree that lists are normally assumed to be from first to last and that is how a visitor would naturally read them.

brandi1leigh

[15]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 62
    I'll add my vote for returning to first to last. I can deal with the no dropdown, but the other is annoying.

angelandspike

[16]Dec 3, 2008
    Mac-Ale wrote:
    The "list all" (all the episodes from all the seasons) is now gone. I did use it to check my numbers as an editor, I have no idea if visitors used it much.

I do this all the time for the same reason as well. We really need to have a way to do it.

I also used it in a non editorial capacity when I was looking for an episode but didn't know the season.
    Edited on 12/03/2008 3:30pm

Im2Crazy4U

[17]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 51
    How about making first-to-last or last-to-first a user selection.

I hate last-to-first personally and it makes this site almost unusable to me. Others may be the exact opposite to me. However about this compromise: let the users decide and then we all win.

Angus_Mac

[18]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 71
    Please don't reverse the list order of episodes within a season. The way it should have been done was the old tv.com way where you list the most recent episodes in the show's front page guide. And only for Returning series.

If you want to keep the final season, make that an option in the preferences.

Alternatively, you can apply the final season status only to series that have Returning status. No one else will want to see reverse season order after the series has properly ended. The last thing you'll want to see is some spoilerific season finale title.

And bring back the dropbox. I don't want to have to load up ALL the episodes just so I can get to a midseason of a long running show.
    Edited on 12/03/2008 7:57pm

SPDShadowRanger

[19]Dec 3, 2008
    brandi1leigh wrote:
    I'll add my vote for returning to first to last. I can deal with the no dropdown, but the other is annoying.

Ditto.

layle1

[20]Dec 4, 2008
    It's a bit of a slap in the face that the site is being exclusively tailored for the casual user. With this "fix" the developers have all but eradicated any easy functionality for the high-volume contributors. I am unbelievably behind in my cast/crew submissions because I just quail at doing a full crew list using the bugged import list or hand entering each person and having to reselect what I want to do. The cynical part of me says that the addition of so many required pages to get to the goal is to boost the advertising hits. If they could have achieved this without decimating the easy access, a whole lot of us would be less unhappy campers. It's truly a sad thing when data contribution is easier at a rival site, where before it was the standard for complexity.

I second (third, fourth, etc.) the concerns raised here, and would also point out that the season selection runs right to left. Sadly, I opted for an English lit class at university, rather than Hebrew tuition, so I feel ill-equipped to rearrange my brain every time I have to make a selection.
    Edited on 12/04/2008 1:48am