Forums: United Kingdom: Question about the UK Court System

archangelwho

[1]Jun 8, 2012
    • level: 18

I have never had much interaction with the US court systems. I have been able to stay out of trouble and due to my job I'm never picked as a juror. What little I do know in the US the judge does not talk or ask questions like the ones on Rumploe does. The judges seem to take sides and help the sides they seem to pick. The lawyers seem to get paid a governemnt base rate and has no ask in how much they charges. The lawyers also don't seem to get their onw cases but has to go though the system to get a cae. In the US the lawyers charges the amount they they want/feel they can get. They get their own cases and even run ads on TV.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lez

[2]Jun 26, 2012
    • level: 1
    I would not take Rumpole of the Bailey as accurately representing the English court system. Judges are of course supposed to be totally unbiased and the degree of bias sometimes shown in this show is more reflective of the scriptwriter's imagination than reality. I've observed that in this show the judges, barristers and solictors are often portrayed as dullards which makes Rumpole seem to shine in comparison. Most, if not all, of the Rumpole stories show him as a defense barrister and his clients have been assigned to him by the court system either because they cannot afford a barrister of their choice or are happy with a court-appointed one. In such a situation Rumpole's payment would be at a standard rate plus expenses.

For a more realistic English court TV show try Crown Court. This show presented a case over 3 episodes. The intriguing thing about it was that the jurists were selected from the live audience and after all the evidence was submitted they (not the scriptwriters) decided on the innocence or guilt of the accused. Consequently, the scriptwriters had to have 2 endings prepared depending on the jurors' decision. The show was made in the 70's-80's so might seem rather dated now. My own experience of the court system is limited to being a jurist in 4 High Court trials.

archangelwho

[3]Jun 29, 2012
    • level: 18

Thanks I will check it out though Netflix & BBC America Shop. My run of Doctor Who is all most to an end and they don't pffer Blake's 7 so I will be looking for a new show. Is this a show safe for my in-laws to watch, ie sex, profanity?