Forums: United Kingdom: UK shows on TV.com

LozzaGS

[1]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    Great to see from this forum that there are lots of people from the UK! Are there UK shows that you'd like to see more about on TV.com? I work for CNET Networks, the owner of TV.com, in the UK, and I'd love to know whether there are UK shows that we're missing on the site, or whether more localised features would be of interest. Let me know!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MattAllenLFC

[2]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 62

There are quite a few U.K. shows missing from the site.

Casualty 1906 & 1907

Never Better

He Kills Coppers

The Fixer

The Wall (new to BBC3 this week)

Keith Lemon's Very Brilliant World Tour

A Year in Tibet

Al Murray's Happy Hour

Teenage Kicks

Dawn Gets Her Man/Goes Lesbian etc...

Those are just off the top of my head.

danbambridge

[4]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 89
    This is something I spoke to waltmor about a while back, I told him some of our best shows never make it there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't even think Dr Who made it on the homepage! He took up my suggestion to put Jekyll on there and that turned out to be quite popular. Even if they don't get featured I'd just like a few more upcoming shows get guides on here, most of the time it seems down to us UK users to add them.

KeFor

[5]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 7
    even tough I'm not from GB one show popped up in my head when I read this thread, and that is Channel 4's show "City of Vice". I must say I really enjoyed that one, even tough it was short.

dju010

[6]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 88
    Besides more guides added, also so generally some more attention wouldn't hurt. Pictures, banners featured stories, included in the site news.
    Currently it's like the UK guides are here as well, but just as some byproduct.

LozzaGS

[7]Apr 8, 2008
    Cool, this is all useful to know - keep the suggestions coming!

MattAllenLFC

[8]Apr 8, 2008

Some more shows which are absent from the site:

Dan Cruickshank's Adventures in Architecture

River Cottage Road Trip

River Cottage - Gone Fishing!

The Garage (the one with that sweary Scot - hilarious!)

Hancock and Joan

Frankie Howerd: Rather You Than Me

Hughie Green, Most Sincerely

The Curse of Steptoe

Fear of Fanny

Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa!

Edited on 04/09/2008 12:51pm

count-chocula

[10]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 47
    LMH68 wrote:
    I'm loving the shows on BBC3, Steptoe & Hughie Green have been great ... They deserve to be on here, get more attention for them.

That's on BBC4 isn't it? Actually, I'm probably wrong so ignore me!

I do like Lin's idea of having some UK based live chats in our GMT (or, at the moment, BST) time zone for season finales and so on.

MattAllenLFC

[12]Apr 9, 2008

The Curse of Comedy programmes are on BBC4 - where most of the good stuff is these days. BBC3 has Lily Allen - need i say any more?

I would like to see (UK) removed from programmes. How about adding (US) to programmes instead? It makes it look like we have copied the Yankeedoodles.

(Waves his Cross of St. George)

danbambridge

[13]Apr 9, 2008
    MattAllenLFC wrote:

The Curse of Comedy programmes are on BBC4 - where most of the good stuff is these days. BBC3 has Lily Allen - need i say any more?

I would like to see (UK) removed from programmes. How about adding (US) to programmes instead? It makes it look like we have copied the Yankeedoodles.

Lily Allen is great, but once again I had to request it to get it added...

I hate the (UK) tags, I really want to see that changed. Take The Office for example, our guide came first and their's started out a near direct copy of ours, yet the British one is the one lumbered with the tag. The same goes for Antiques Roadshow, the British version came first (I think) and the other guide isn't even correct/up to date yet my guide has to put up with the tags. It really just boils down to the fact that it's a primarily US based site so the US guides are the ones that need to be the most prominent. I can see why they do it but I don't agree with it! What gets on my nerves the most is the guides that have a (UK) tag yet there is no other guide to warrant having it.

As for the British based chats, what would be a better time for us? I prefer it as it is now as it often seems to be more convienent for us as it is. The last few have generally been between 9-12pm our time and 1-4pm US time which a lot of people can't get to because of work. At least with ours we are more likely to be able to get to them, even though I can come on at work I might not be able to download the necessary Java stuff to be able to get involved. I am happy as it is, maybe the odd UK show but the time is fine with me.

Edited on 04/09/2008 2:21pm

TheOldBill

[14]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 94

Yes, that is very annoying. Life on Mars became Life on Mars (UK) when I pointed out to staff that the guide for the possible pilot of Life On Mars had the same name. The same thing happened to Jericho. Back in TVTome days, it was always the newer show that got the identifier in parentheses, and that identifier was generally a year, not a country.

My pet peeve, however, relates to US-UK co-productions, and U.S. broadcasts of original British shows. The site is supposed to relate to initial broadcasts, and if, as with Rome, a show airs first in the U.S., all is good. Generally, however, a guide to a co-production airing first in the UK is either hijacked (with original broadcast details being overwritten with U.S. ones, as in Elizabeth I) or duplicated (as in Five Days — now renamed Five Days (UK), of course! — and Five Days).

And, on the subject of unnecessary confusion, I've never been able to get my head around the guides to PBS strands such as Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery!. Much of the content of these strands is British drama bought in from the BBC and repackaged for a U.S audience. The only original content in such broadcasts is the hosted framing sequence, if any, but episodes all have partial cast and crew lists relating to the British content. We don't have dedicated guides to every syndicated or overseas broadcast of U.S. shows, and we don't include complete cast lists for those U.S. cartoons, say, that are broadcast within a hosted presentation on British TV.

Edited on 04/09/2008 8:12pm

LozzaGS

[16]Apr 10, 2008
    I'd been wondering about the (UK) tagging, so those comments are interesting, thanks. Could it work if there was a consistent rule related to where a show was first broadcast?

MattAllenLFC

[17]Apr 10, 2008

It should be about the country from which the programme originates. I edit Top Gear. Sorry, Top Gear (UK). This programme has been running for 30 years or so, yet TV.com had the utter cheek to add (UK) to the title no more than a fortnight ago.

It's particularly annoying as the proposed American version of Top Gear isn't even going to be called Top Gear. As far as I'm aware, it will be called Gear.

TheOldBill

[18]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 94
    Lin, the worst thing about the PBS broadcasts (and I can see now that I didn't make this clear in my last post) is that most episodes of Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! unnecessarily duplicate information in the true guides.

Mafeu

[19]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 69
    Consistent disambiguation is a definite must. Concurring with Dju010, some attention for UK shows would be good too.

In my opinion the homepage needs totally overhauling as it's a mess in my opinion, which restricts any attention they could receive.

danbambridge

[20]Apr 11, 2008

LozzaGS wrote:
    I'd been wondering about the (UK) tagging, so those comments are interesting, thanks. Could it work if there was a consistent rule related to where a show was first broadcast?

That would be fine, even if year tags could be used instead that would be good. I see the (UK) tags as meaning that the show is not as necessary as the US version, that the US version is the definitive guide and the UK one is just another guide on the site. Take Mafeu's The IT Crowd (2006), I'm happy with the year tag. It just means there's now a new show and that one needs to be the one people associate with the show at the time of airing. I'd personally prefer it if both guides get the tags like the anime shows generally get (JPN) and (US) ones on those guides.