TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: User to User Help: Hints & Tips: Everything You Need To Know About Editorships! Tips, Privileges, Submissions...

expatriot

[61]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 53
    When tv.com tried to correct  a bug which meant that people did not get points for person guides, the bugfix caused some points to be counted twice. He/she probably got the editorship that way. They then fixed the points but I believe they are still working out what happens to people who became an editor in that short time due to this bugfix.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sez01

[62]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 28
    I was an editor for a show, but another user has now obtained the editorship. The new editor omly had 40 points more then me when they obtained the guide, but I thought they had to have 80 points more than the currenct editor. Is this correct?

expatriot

[63]Mar 31, 2007
    Sez01 wrote:
    I thought they had to have 80 points more than the currenct editor. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. Perhaps this double CP bug doubled his points, made him editor, then he remained editor when his CPs were corrected ???

Sez01

[64]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 28
    Ok, thanks for that expatriot.

expatriot

[65]Apr 1, 2007
    Sez01 wrote:
    Ok, thanks for that expatriot.

You do realise, that was just an explanation of the situation?? It's not right that he became editor due to a system glitch when rightfully you should still be the editor !

DarkBride

[66]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 16
    I am just wondering why I'm not showing on the top contributors list when I should have more points than other "top" contributors? And I also should have like 21 points for accepted submission for one actress but only 4 points is showing up. Is there another bug that is messing with things like that?

expatriot

[67]Apr 2, 2007
    DarkBride wrote:
    Is there another bug that is messing with things like that?

Yes, take a look in the Tech Support Forum. The thread called Problems with the CP Discussion, or something like that

Stikky

[68]May 12, 2007
    • level: 15

alexlips wrote:
    1) You should become editor for a person without a current editor if you contribute 1 biography and 15 quotes or pieces of trivia and they are all accepted.

I dunno if anyone has noticed this but, according to this and my calculations....

1x Bio, worth 5pts each = 5pts

15x Quotes/Trivia, worth 2pts each = 30pts

Total = 35pts.

You need 40 points to become an editor of a person, so you shouldn't be able to become editor for a person without an editor if you contribute 1 biography and 15 quotes od pieces of trivia, even if they are all accepted.. Is my maths wrong here or is this a mistake with the guide?

123home123

[69]May 12, 2007
    • level: 55
    Your math is correct. The recommended strategy would only result in 35 points, not enough for a people guide editorship. You would need 18 quotes or trivia plus one bio update.

Of course, if you happened to find the birth date verified on a reliable site but no other biographical information anywhere else, and then 4 months later the actor finally produces an official site with enough information for you to write up an original biography, then it would be OK to submit that original bio at that time. (On the other hand, it wouldn't be acceptable to add the birth date and bio separately if all of that information was available at the same time.)

There are a few people guides that I've been interested in but there is very little information about the actors available on the Web. I post a quote or a trivia item from a rare interview or article as I find them. Hopefully someday these actors will fill out their official websites so I (or someone else) can add more information.

Hulkamaniac14

[70]May 14, 2007
    • level: 17
    Would you get any points for submitting the show?

MyCritique

[71]May 14, 2007

Hulkamaniac14 wrote:
    Would you get any points for submitting the show?

Unfortunately no. But if you know it's coming, then you can at least get started working on it as soon as it appears.

thetrojanrabbit

[72]May 26, 2007
    • level: 30

ok - a few questions on submissions

if several people submit an episode recap (for example) then does the editor pick the best one or are all accepted (provided they aren't full of typos etc) or what? how does that work?

Just curious as I understand how points are scoed for submissions etc, but don't understand the fining workings of it all

123home123

[73]May 26, 2007
    • level: 55
    The editor can and should reject any recaps that are extremely poorly written, regardless of whether there are any good recaps in the queue. Once the editor receives a recap that is worthy of approval, then he should accept it.

If someone comes along and writes a much superior recap, it's up to the editor to decide whether to replace the original. If he does accept the new recap, the original recap will disappear but the original contributor doesn't lose his contribution points.

SS-23

[74]May 29, 2007
    If you're an editor of a person guide, are you able to add their show info like their recent roles or previous roles that aren't there already?

Angus_Mac

[75]May 29, 2007
    • level: 71
    You can add their starring and guest roles in the appropriate guide's episodes. You don't need to be editor of the person to do so, unless the guide just doesn't exist here.

Stikky

[76]May 30, 2007
    OK, so perhaps I am not terribly observant here or there's something I have missed but how the hell do i make someone trusted contributor? I feel like i have looked everywhere.. Everyone else has figured it out, though, so i feel kinda dumb

dju010

[77]May 30, 2007
    • level: 88
    If you are the editor, click on the orange button "contribute" in your guide and select the user in one of the two drop down lists.

Stikky

[78]May 31, 2007
    dju010 wrote:
    If you are the editor, click on the orange button "contribute" in your guide and select the user in one of the two drop down lists.

Oh, awesome, thanks dju010, and yes, i am their editor, i figured i needed that all by myself