Forums: Welcome New Users: How do you view tv listings by number, not channel name?

Bugmenotin

[1]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 11
    I just wanna get a quick scan of what's on tv but the listings are ordered by channel name. Who the heck remembers the names of each channel? People associate the tv show with what channel number it's on. I can't find any option to change it. And the channel names aren't even in alphabetical order. Are you TRYING to make this difficult for us?? I better stick with Yahoo tv listings...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EJamison

[2]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 17
    TV listings are not the main point of this site. This is mostly a database of TV episodes, reviews and discussions. For listings you are better off at yahoo or try zap2it.com.

Finalsequel

[3]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 30
    I think it would be near impossible to do that, becuase with most cable providers channel numbers vary from area to area. It would get even harder to do if an area had more than one provider.

EJamison

[4]Mar 17, 2008
    Finalsequel wrote:
    I think it would be near impossible to do that
    It's good that it's only "near" impossible, otherwise zap2it.com wouldn't have already done it.

Finalsequel

[5]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 30
    EJamison wrote:
    Finalsequel wrote:
    I think it would be near impossible to do that
    It's good that it's only "near" impossible, otherwise zap2it.com wouldn't have already done it.

So maybe "near" and "impossible" were the wrong words to use. But, in my defense I don't use Zap2it.

duotrouble

[6]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 7

Bugmenotin wrote:
    Who the heck remembers the names of each channel?

I do! I can easily remember what network I saw a show on. I find it more difficult to remember the channel number since cable and satellite companies are always changing their number lineups.

I usually go to tvguide.com for a "proper" lineup. It's nice tv.com has the listings function but it doesn't typically work for me either when I just want to scan what's on.

Bugmenotin

[7]Mar 23, 2008
    No it's a stupid method because you still have to know the channel number after you find out the channel name. If there's a show that you want to see and it's on a channel called KWXI or something how is that going to help you unless you already memorized the channel number of KWXI?? Just tell us the number! I think almost all tv listings do it this way. You just enter the zip code and your cable provider and that's it. I just thought since tv.com was the place for everything tv it would be easy to look for the listings here as well. I didn't realize they were so retarded at this.
    Edited on 03/23/2008 4:12pm

xxLolxx16

[8]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 1

Don't most TV channel numbers vary with some providers? I know when I got Satellite it was a helluva alot different than Cable. In that sense it's more practical and useful to go for the network/name. It's not that hard to remember them, as there's most often a little image and logo on the bottom of the screen during a show, during the commericals and stuff like that.

EJamison

[9]Mar 25, 2008
    xxLolxx16 wrote:
    Don't most TV channel numbers vary with some providers?
    Yes, if you go on vacation it can be very frustrating because the stations can be all over the place. Someone needs to invent TVs with dynamic mode transcompositors where you can encode your channel lineup at home onto a USB card so that the TV at the hotel will behave the same way.

Bugmenotin

[10]Mar 25, 2008
    Ya depending on the provider the channel number will usually be different. That's why they ask you for your zipcode and provider so they can give you the appropriate channel numbers. Knowing the network name only helps if you already know the channel number. If you go to a friend's house who has a different provider, knowing only the network name is going to be useless. Are you saying that if you wanna watch some show and the listing shows it's on channel 10, that is less convenient than having the listing only tell you it's on ABC? But the major network names are easy to remember, it's when it's on the hundred other cable channels that it gets confusing.